AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to get a new TV soon and I want to be prepared for future formats so I want one with HDTV. I've read the FAQ just so you dont direct me there. First off, if I get a HDTV with a built in tuner, can I hook up a line from a directv satellite and will this built in tuner be able to switch it (does it have an access card?). I'm pretty familiar with directv and I know they have like 3 HDTV channels at the moment. If I hook a line from the satellite to the built in tuner in the TV as i mentioned before, will I be able to receive these channels (if I have the elliptical dish and pay extra)? I've also heard a lot about HDTV signals being broadcast OTA. I live in Los Angeles so obviously there would be HDTV broadcasts. What kind of antenna do I need to receive OTA HDTV signals and how does this antenna connect (if at all) to the built in tuner? Can these OTA signals be combined with DirecTV?

Sorry for all the Q's, but if I'm gonna drop $2500 for a new TV, I wanna make sure I dont shoot myself in the foot.

-Black

·
Registered
734 Posts
Most HDTVs require a separate STB in order to receive HD signals from satellite and/or OTA. I believe that the 2002 line of Mitsubishi TVs have built-in tuners. Other manufacturers may have similar models. I'm not familiar with these so perhaps someone else could handle this.

DirecTV has only two HD channels at the moment, HDNet on 199 and HBO-HD on 509. The programming on 509 is the same as 501 and is either native HD or upconverted HD.

Depending on where you live in LA, you may be able to receive most if not all of the stations that broadcast digital signals in LA. I'm in San Diego and with an attic mounted Channel Master 3021 I can receive most of the LA stations, although KNBC and KCET (PBS) are the only ones that I care about since I can get CBS and ABC from San Diego. You may be able to get by with something as simple as the Radio Shack double bowtie UHF antenna for only $18.00.

The connection from most antennas to a HD STB is by regular coax cable. Most STBs have separate inputs for satellite and terrestrial antenna, although with the Hughes/Mits/Toshiba family, you can diplex OTA and satellite together on one input and use the other input for cable. This may be different for a TV with a built-in HD tuner, but it would probably operate in a similar fashion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.