AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am trying to get a handle on HDTV and all the different numbers and terms used.

My Toshiba TV uses 480p or 1080i formats.

So what am I getting when I watch an ABC comedy in 720? (I watch through a MyHD card in my PC).

What level of quality are the CBS shows in? I know when I watch Jay Leno in HD it is stunning, when I watch the King of Queens or CSI it is what I would call DVD quality. Nowhere near the quality of a live broadcast (basketball, The Oscars, etc)

I assume this is because I am limited to the quality of the medium used, film in this case.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Don't forget that many dramas and comedies are filmed on film first, and then transferred to HDTV to be broadcast. Then there are events that are recorded via HDTV Video and broadcast (Sports, Leno, Events, etc..).

The HDTV Video usually looks better (crisper) than film productst that are converted to HDTV.

So that usually explains the difference. Also since your TV only supports 1080i input for HDTV, your MyHD card must be converting ABC's 720p to 1080i.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tsunami
...My Toshiba TV uses 480p or 1080i formats.

So what am I getting when I watch an ABC comedy in 720? (I watch through a MyHD card in my PC)....

Mike
I'm sure your MyHD card is set to output 1080i (default). The MyHD card is converting 720p to 1080i (which it does a very good job of) and sending to your TV.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tsunami
ning, when I watch the King of Queens or CSI it is what I would call DVD quality. Nowhere near the quality of a live broadcast (basketball, The Oscars, etc)

I assume this is because I am limited to the quality of the medium used, film in this case.
I don't think film is a limiting factor for HD. I feel the CBS shows are far better than DVD in quality - now the NBC shows I would concede not much better than DVD. I think CSI is deliberately done to be a little grainy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For HDTV purposes, film has essentially unlimited resolution. It is certainly not a limiting factor in HDTV quality. The HD transfers of "Hogan's Heroes" shown on HDNet look absolutely incredible. HDTV, when done properly, looks terrific, whether the source is video or film.

Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.