AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm gearing up to FINALLY buy my first HDTV! Woo-Hoo! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'm about 80% set on the Toshiba 56H80 (or maybe even the 65H80 depending on free space in my living room). I took a quick look at the Mitsubishi WS-55907:
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/diamond.htm

and found that it has:

2 component video inputs (480i/480p)

1 DTV component video input (480i/480p/1080i)

1 VGA input (640x480, 60Hz)

(in addition to the A/V and S-Video inputs)

The Toshiba has:

2 component video inputs

no DTV inputs

no VGA inputs

I think the Toshiba is cheaper than the Mits. My questions are:

1) What is the DTV component video input and is that a fairly standard input for HDTVs? (is the Tosh lacking an input it should have?)

2) Do I really care about NOT having a VGA input if I'm not going to have an HTPC setup?

3) Would anyone recommend the Mits over the Tosh, and if so why?

Thanks!

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok... so you're saying the Tosh doesn't need the DTV inputs because the current component inputs will handle the DTV signal.......

Cool.... thanks!

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Mits has more 480i,480p,960i, and 1080i.

Mits is the only company that promises that we can upgrade

the rptv hd at a reasonable cost for any new technology coming in the future. Such as the IEEE 1394 {FIREWIRE} connection and HAVI SYSTEM CONTROL. Go with the Mits it's a very good product.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
636 Posts

If you are not a PC user then you don't need to worry about VGA input (I guess http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif -atleast I never use mine)

Mits are easy to tweak and have global settings unlike Tosh where you need to tweak for each set of pic modes. Tosh is a tweaker's delight http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Toshiba has a MUCH BETTER line doubler than Mits. For quality NTSC viewing you would need to buy an ext line doubler like iscan pro (~$600ish). In fact when I changed from 907 to Tosh I sold my iscan pro since line doubler in my Tosh did a fine job with my cable signals.

I had a 907 and one of the biggest issues I had was its excessive red-push (many Mits 2001 models have exhibited little ringing/ghosting). You can minimize red-push using the attentuator but not completely. You can check http://www.***************.com/cgi-b...&f=10&t=004328

Mits has the upgrade promise but the price difference between Mits 907 and Tosh 56H80 large; you can as well buy another new set if your Tosh 56H80 becomes obsolete!!

There are happy owners of both sets. Let your eyes decide http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Registered
787 Posts
Kishore... easy there.
Quote:
If you are not a PC user then you don't need to worry about VGA input (I guess -atleast I never use mine)
Hangon on there tiger. Here are the list of components fighting for my one rgb input on my mits.

- 2 outputs from my htpc, from vid card for dvd's and hipix for hi def.

- dtc 100, the most affordable (and probably the most popular) set top box is natively rgb(vga) I recently sold this but I'll list this anyway

- dreamcast vga converter box. even though ps2 has more detail in its graphics, dreamcast through the converter box at 480p is absolutely amazing. My dreamcast recently crapped itself. With my ps2 and the looming release of xbox, Im still planning on getting a replacement dreamcast. btw I use the interact one with a vga pass thru, there seems to be no loss of resolution.

Don't overlook the rgb input, it is the input of choice for most highend components. With that said, a toshiba w/transacoder would still be a great option. I thnik the supposed loss of quality with these transcoders is rather exagerated.

One thing w/ the toshiba that never seems to come up is the viewing angle. I had a 40x81 for about 2 months and compared to my mits 55805, its viewing angle was much better. The biggest problem w/ my set is that it has a very small optimal viewing angle. The lenticular lense of the toshiba seemed much more forgiving of that. I could watch it from the sides and it would still be viewable. Anywho.

I own and love the mits. However, with the recent price drops on the tosh, if I had to buy a set 2day, I would probably get the tosh. I could get the 65h80 for what I paid for my 55incher last summer. Oh well.

Good luck

K

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think the appropriate comparision to the Toshiba from a price and features standpoint should be the Mitsubishi 55807 (about $1000 less than 55907) or the 55857 (about $500 less). I have 55857 and am very pleased with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you've ever seen these sets in person, those viewing angle measurements will be crystal clear to you.

The simple fact is that the toshiba is viewable more "from the side" than the mits. With the mits you really need to be in front of the set get a good picture. Even height makes a difference. From 7-8ft away, I don't get a clear picture until I sit down. This is more or les the same story with all rear projection sets, but the lenticular screen on the toshiba's tend to rectify the problem a bit.

Again, the mits' viewing angle seems in line with most rptv's Ive seen, its just the toshiba seems to be better when watching the set from an angle.

Since my viewing area is pretty set, I don't worry much. Its just annoying when people come over and says I can't see anything while they're standing. When they sit though their jaw usually hits the floor.

K

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unless performance is NOT important to you buy the Toshiba.

HD testing on the 56H80 revealed against a manufacturer claimed Horizontal Resolution of 1600 lines (FYI...that's where the detail is) an ACTUAL performance (after ISF tweaking) of 979 lines of Horizontal Resolution.

Also, it is important to note that the HD wideband amplifier in the Toshiba is ONLY capable of passing thru 11-12 megahertz of the HD frequency & the wideband amplifiers are NOT consistant across all 3 CRT's one could be 11 & one could be 12 megahertz.

The Mitz is your best bet from a performance stand point. The WS55907 (after ISF'ing) tested out to 1246 lines of Horizontal Resolution, the HD Wideband amps went to 17-18 megahertz. It's performance is simply wonderful compared that of the Toshiba.

The Mitz may have only a 110 degree angle of view (on paper, go actually look at it), but it's picture is superb. With VGA & Y,Pb,Pr inputs that FAR exceeds Toshiba for connections...too!

Typically, price will determine most people's choices...remember you GET what you PAY for.

Make the choice for you...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm.... LB, you got me wondering a little..... you just HAD to post that info, didn't you!!!! Now, I'm back to not knowing which set to choose now..... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great info! AT this point, I'm only interested in watching DVDs and LDs. I have digital cable and will probably connect the coax directly to the TV... I don't care about picture quality for cable since I don't even watch cable NOW!!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I have a quick viewing angle question. According to the MIts specs for the Diamond Series, they have a 110 degree horizontal viewing angle and a 34 degree vertical viewing angle. I believe the 56H80 has a 160 degree viewing angle.

Does the 160 degree viewing angle mean I can be farther to the side of the TV before the picture is NOT viewable? I think that is what this means, but I want to clarify.

Thanks again for helping me with my "basic" questions. I'm new to HDTV so I'm still learning the terms and concepts.

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, I bought the 56H80 about 3 weeks ago, just plain couldnt aford the 65" but wish I could have.

I have several questions that I wish I knew the answers to, for one in all documentaion of the 56H80 it only says 1080i support but I know that it supports either 480i or 480p cause a componet DVD player works on it, I guess my thinking is right on that.

Component out on a DVD player is always 480p? or can it also be 480i? I am guessing 480p is alot better same resolusion but twice the frames per secound since no interlacing is being done?

I cant belive the manual with the Toshiba dont explain better this kind of stuff. it doesn't mention much at all about its HDTV resolution at all, it is so hard to understand when the information is hidden.

I am hoping that I am atleast watching 480p NOT 480i when i watch a DVD it does look better to me anyway.

Also I am curious if most people on this forum think that it is WAY worth it to pay more to get a HDTV that supports 740p (think that is right?) or the progressive format that is kin to 1080i. Progressive seems to me like the way to go I have always been a PC person, and will be looking into hooking up my PC to my HDTV soon (not much help out there on this either) The Monitor I am typing on now has always had a great display and I have for years wished a TV would use the same technolgy as a PC monitor. I play alot of games on my PC and on my PS2 (ps2 Component out cable is cool) but i am guessing I am going to wish I had bought a different HDTV when I go to hook my PC to the Toshiba?

Any info on how to get a PC signal to broadcast 1080i would be great, a converter box or something? someone needs to make one if there isnt one.

Also I have digital cable in charlotte and it looks like crap really, you can see tons of compression artifacts in it, does anyone know if they recompress the signal to get more bandwidth into the cable? cause it looks alot worse than any composite DVD player and is pretty bad really. when I complained to the person at the cable company they just said it was cause my tv was so big blah blah total BS.

I am not complaining much yet since I got on their HDTV cable beta and hoping that it looks good, If ANYONE is in charlotte on on the HDTV beta please let me know if this is good or not? cause the digital cable looks like **** .

maybe they useing all the good bandwidth for the HDTV? haha

I know this is a long post but I got tons of questions and am hping to learn as I go on this stuff.

Thanks for any responses

Anyone that has any real good info email me directly

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Comen (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The Mitsubishi 55907 looks very impressive on HDTV. Relative to a $13,000 Panasonic DLP RPTV, the 55907 seems to have about the same resolution and vastly superior contrast, for an overall better picture on the 55907. Okay, so the CRT-based set should have better contrast, but the blacks were very deep indeed on the 55907 even compared to other CRT-based sets. I looked at a Toshiba 56H80 (user level converged by me), which also have good contrast, and on a HD feed it appeared to be missing the whole fine level of detail relative to the Philips set next to it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to directly compare a 56H80 to a 55907, and I can't speak for their performance once tweaked or ISF'ed.

It's true that the line doubler in the 55907 stinks. I place only modest value, say $400, on a quality internal line doubler. You can bypass the internal line doubler with either a HTPC or DVDO iScan Pro. A DVDO iScan Pro will be better than the Toshiba's quality line doubler.

I place a tremendous value on VGA/RGB input, say $2000, as the DVD picture you can get with a HTPC pumping out 1440x960i blows away just about any progressive DVD player. You sure you will never want a great DVD picture? Also, the flexibility of a set with both component and RGB inputs lets you try equipment both ways when it has both outputs, and I usually find one way or the other works better on my set, so again there is some value there. Yes, you can use a VGA-to-component transcoder cable on the Toshiba, but at the cost of picture quality.

I place only a little value on the Mitsubishi promise, though the value I place on it seems to be rising every day. A lot of things have to go right and wrong for you to get value on the promise. Maybe it's worth $350 on a $3500 set.

You're paying about $1000 more for the Mitsubishi, but I don't think you can just choose the Toshiba on that basis, as the 55907 is likely the superior set.

Regarding 720p, very few sets have it. The aforementioned $13,000 Panasonic does, the old 56" Panasonic CRT RPTV does, the Sampo 34" direct view does, and I'm running out of examples. A HTPC with a Radeon card produces a nice DVD picture at 1440x960i, which works on most sets that accept 480p. I prefer 1440x960i to the 600p I've tried, but I don't have 720p. 1080i seems to be the resolution that most of the manufacturers and broadcasters are going with, so I don't think you'll miss out big if you forego 720p. For example, Microsoft's XBox is slated to output 480p and 1080i, but there is no mention of 720p.

Great bargains are popping up regularly at Costco and elsewhere. If you can't get what seems to be a real steal now, I suggest you wait. Also consider front projectors.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here's one to consider...

Samsung HLK506W 50" transmissive ferro-electric LCD . If 50" isn't big enough, sit closer !

VGA input (15 pin D sub) for BEST HTPC connection

720P native

70 pounds !!

about $6000, available this fall ??

------------------

Pentium III 800

256 MB Ram

GeForce 256 32mb

WinTV PVR

Creative 6x DVD

SB Live Value

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have had both sets, a 65903 Mitsubishi and a 65H80 Toshiba.

IMO the Toshiba is better. In fact, I'd buy it if the cost was the same as a new 65907. The line doubler in the Mits sucks, so add $600 right there for a scaler. The "red push" problem is bad, requiring a tech to help you, so add a couple hundred there.

As for the picture quality once you've done these fixes, I like the Toshiba better. It is a little softer than the Mits, but I watch mainly films and prefer a softer, "film-like" image. NTSC is, well, NTSC. With the scaler, the Mits may be SLIGHTLY better than the Toshiba. But you know what they say: "garbage in, garbage out." For the money, the Toshiba has a fine line doubler that will produce acceptable NTSC images without the expense of an external scaler.

As for the additional inputs, you don't really need them. RGB isn't really that important, as most mainstream devices seem to be going the component route. If you need more inputs, you can buy an external switcher for less than a $100.

As for the Mits "promise." Let me tell you, I spent thousands of dollars for a workaround to the Mits first-generation sets inoperability with alot of new devices, such as a progressive scan DVD player. Their customer support sucks. They'll only "support" you if you pany more money. So add that to the list of additional expenses too. Contrast that with Toshiba, who recently offered a no-cost upgrade to their customers for an improved NTSC picture. Who's delivering on their "promise"?

As for "tweakability," go spend some time over at the Mits Home Theater Spot forum. You'll see alot of knowledgeable people who are extremely pissed off at Mitsubishi for locking out service menus that can improve the picture quality.

Mits had bamboozled the public into believing it has a better "brand" than Toshiba. The truth is far from that.

If you don't believe me, check out The Perfect Vision, which has an HDTV buyer's guide online this month. The Toshiba is rated very highly. The Mits sucks.

I've had both. It's correct.

Doug

·
Registered
286 Posts
The perfect vision editor's choice seems to be a pioneer elite with a note that new toshiba's are close rivals. Am I missing something? What about JVC Dahlia TV's? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Randy

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug McCoy:
I have had both sets, a 65903 Mitsubishi and a 65H80 Toshiba.

IMO the Toshiba is better. In fact, I'd buy it if the cost was the same as a new 65907. The line doubler in the Mits sucks, so add $600 right there for a scaler. The "red push" problem is bad, requiring a tech to help you, so add a couple hundred there.

As for the picture quality once you've done these fixes, I like the Toshiba better. It is a little softer than the Mits, but I watch mainly films and prefer a softer, "film-like" image. NTSC is, well, NTSC. With the scaler, the Mits may be SLIGHTLY better than the Toshiba. But you know what they say: "garbage in, garbage out." For the money, the Toshiba has a fine line doubler that will produce acceptable NTSC images without the expense of an external scaler.

As for the additional inputs, you don't really need them. RGB isn't really that important, as most mainstream devices seem to be going the component route. If you need more inputs, you can buy an external switcher for less than a $100.

As for the Mits "promise." Let me tell you, I spent thousands of dollars for a workaround to the Mits first-generation sets inoperability with alot of new devices, such as a progressive scan DVD player. Their customer support sucks. They'll only "support" you if you pany more money. So add that to the list of additional expenses too. Contrast that with Toshiba, who recently offered a no-cost upgrade to their customers for an improved NTSC picture. Who's delivering on their "promise"?

As for "tweakability," go spend some time over at the Mits Home Theater Spot forum. You'll see alot of knowledgeable people who are extremely pissed off at Mitsubishi for locking out service menus that can improve the picture quality.

Mits had bamboozled the public into believing it has a better "brand" than Toshiba. The truth is far from that.

If you don't believe me, check out The Perfect Vision, which has an HDTV buyer's guide online this month. The Toshiba is rated very highly. The Mits sucks.

I've had both. It's correct.

Doug
Doug,

you can pick up an attenuator at Radio Shack for $6 that will eliminate the red push on the Mits set. For a guy that does alot of bashing, it seems that you are ignorant to alot of tweaks that can be performed on the above mentioned sets. Before you go off about a particular set or manufact., you may want to do some homework. It may not be the set, but the set operator that is the problem. You can take your foot out of your mouth now.

Tom, you may want to do a search on here to get some educated opinions on the above sets. You may be surprised at what you read.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HammerJoe:
Who sells mits in canada?? Especially in NB?
Nobody. As far as I understand, there are no Canadian distributors that carry Mitsubishi televisions.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kipp,

Glad you're happy with your Mits. I'm happy with my Toshiba.

No need for the personal attacks. I had a bad experience with Mitsubishi, not you.

Doug

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.