AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have HDTV Ready TV, and can I just install an anntenna to watch OTA HDTV local programs or Do I need HDTV converters?

My friend is telling me that I need to have HDTV "intergrated" TV + anntenna to watch the HDTV Program, but with HDTV REady I need an anntenna plus HDTV converter. Is he right?

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
22,258 Posts
Yup! In order to receive/decode digital OTA (ATSC), you need an HD Reciever since your TV is "HD-Ready".

You can still probably hook up an antenna and get OTA in Standard Def (NTSC).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If your TV was HD-Enabled you'd be able to hook an antenna up and get Over-The-Air HD. Since it's only HD-Ready (like the HDTVs most of us have) you need a Set-Top-Box.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Definition of terms:

'HDTV' - Display and OTA DTV tuner all in one package. You will pay a premium for this product.

'HDTV Ready' - Display is compatible with, and ready to be connected to a HDTV source via analog high band component video or RGBHV. Examples of sources are: DTV tuner, DTV tuner/HDTV sat receiver, JVC D-VHS, HTPC.

The latest 'HDTV Ready' displays can also have digital connectivity via Firewire and/or DVI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.