AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ReplayTV connected with a serial cable to an RCA D* rec'r and want to upgrade the RCA to an HDTV D* rec'r while keeping the serial connection. Is the Sony HD100 my ony choice unless I want to switch to Tivo? I would like to take advantage of simultaneous component and S-video outputs if there is a unit out there.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
744 Posts
Is there a reason why you want to keep the serial connection? I know it's more reliable than the IR, but what I've heard is mostly good things about the IR control. As for boxes that do both, I know the Samsung 160 and new Hughes/LG/Sony boxes do both.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I switched to a Hughes HTL-HD with IR. It takes a little time to get use after 4 years of serial conncetions. The channel changes slightly slower and you have to keep the D* receiver on all the time, but the IR is reliable. If you get the HTL-HD, use the IR blaster code for the Hughes GCEBO - Not the HIRD-E6 that Replay recommends. The GCEBO changes more quickly by about 2 seconds and does not have any "in and outs" when changing. (The HIRD-E6 code would change the screen black, show the new channel, go black, show the old channel, then change to the new channel. Yuck!)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
As CalypsoCowboy said, the Samsung TS-160 does simultaneous component & s-video, but it doesn't have a serial port. You have to use an IR blaster with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A related question. I just bought an hdtv and plan to use my Replay. What is my best bet for going from the HD STB to the replay to the TV? I don't know what the STB will be yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got a Replay 5000 setup with my Hughes HTL-HD. I'm using the always-on S-video out to the Replay, then the component out from the Replay to the TV. This way, the Hughes is still connected via DVI to the TV for watching HD material.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I have an HTL-HD however, it will not work well either with my 3080 ReplayTV. Changing channels using the ReplayTV remote set with the Hughes code works fine but when trying the IR Blaster it stutters changing then back then finally the correct one. Talking with Replay did not get me relief since the code I need (7141) is not available on the 3xxx series and they tell me it won't be.

The HD300 is not an option as it won't work with a serial cable from what I can find out. I guess I should get a 5040 to make this all work... :(

Thanks,

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am using (IR) code 0749A with my Showstopper (aka Replaytv 3xxx) with my HTLHD, it's working great. I did read from someone over in the ReplayTV forum here that he got serial working with his Sony HD300 and RTV4xxx, so I tried a serial cable but it didn't work for me. The "A" code seems to slow down the transmissions, using just 0749 both the HTLHD and my previous Hughes would sometimes miss a channel digit when changing channels quickly with RTV remote...didn't seem to affect any scheduled recordings though.

I also have the HTLHD's S-video going to RTV input, HTLHD's component to TV, HTLHD's composite to a/v receiver (along with the digital audio of course). I read on the ReplayTV FAQ that the remote codes for the Samsung receiver will not be made available to older RTV (3xxx/SS) , so I got the cheaper simultaneous-SD/HD-output HTLHD since I didn't want the Sony's RF remote for $200 more. Still waiting for my 1.08 firmware download, but the HD Superbowl party is definitely ON.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the HD-100/ReplayTV Combo via Serial and I'd never go back to IR. It was just way too slow. Plus I can shut off the HD-100 and the ReplayTV will power it on again (the HD-100 suffers from odd reboots if I leave it "on" for days/weeks at a time, so powering off, while merely just "standby" actually helps).

I believe the HD-300, with it's simuntaneous S-Vid/Composite out, works with a serial cable. Though I have no personal experience with that combo, someone over in the HD-300 First Impressions thread has worked with it, I believe.

But now I'm just waiting it out for the HDDirecTiVo.

Rick

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by h_a_h_3
I am using (IR) code 0749A with my Showstopper (aka Replaytv 3xxx) with my HTLHD, it's working great.
I am surprised as when I used 0749 it would change the channel but would do so in this progression

1. Display channel number from Hughes and blank

2. Display info on current channel

3. Display selected channel info.

This doesn't happen on yours?

Thanks,

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.