AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ReplayTV connected with a serial cable to an RCA D* rec'r and want to upgrade the RCA to an HDTV D* rec'r while keeping the serial connection. Is the Sony HD100 my ony choice unless I want to switch to Tivo? I would like to take advantage of simultaneous component and S-video outputs if there is a unit out there.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
on a similar note, are there any experiences with RTV50xx + a Samsung SIR-T150 HDTV box? does the aspect ratio come out ok via the S-video out of the HD box and can the RTV control it (change channel) via IR (or any other means)?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
mark, do youself a favor and don't get the HD100, check the HD300. The concurrent s-video and component output is a MUST for using with a replay. The HD300 I'm pretty sure has serial, oh crap.... nevermind it uses the new command set.

Complain to ReplayTV about not supporting the new serial command set!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I have an HTL-HD however, it will not work well either with my 3080 ReplayTV. Changing channels using the ReplayTV remote set with the Hughes code works fine but when trying the IR Blaster it stutters changing then back then finally the correct one. Talking with Replay did not get me relief since the code I need (7141) is not available on the 3xxx series and they tell me it won't be.

The HD300 is not an option as it won't work with a serial cable from what I can find out. I guess I should get a 5040 to make this all work... :(

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by collin

RTV50xx + a Samsung SIR-T150 HDTV box?
I have a T151; unsure how it differs. The aspect ratio can be toggled on the tuner via its remote control. Which ratio is correct for you depends on your TV. However I don't think the RTV knows the code to do so automatically, and I'm not aware of any programming that allows you to select when recording.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by collin
on a similar note, are there any experiences with RTV50xx + a Samsung SIR-T150 HDTV box? does the aspect ratio come out ok via the S-video out of the HD box and can the RTV control it (change channel) via IR (or any other means)?
I have the SIR-T151. The aspect ratio will always be 16:9.

When played back on a 4:3 screen the image will be squished.

When played on my Sony 50xbr800 (16:9) it is squished unless I put the TV in Full mode.

If you like, send me your unit's ID and I'll send you a one minute clip.

There's no way for the Replay to change the aspect ratio via the IR.

It can however change the channel.

bcochell_pobox_com

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcochell

I have the SIR-T151. The aspect ratio will always be 16:9.

When played back on a 4:3 screen the image will be squished.
This is true for the component video output; however he would be supplying the RTV with the S-video output for which the aspect ratio is switchable.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
my ideal usage would be to be able to watch HDTV from the box live on the TV via component or VGA, while simultaneously recording the S-Video on the RTV. My TV is a Panasonic 36HX41, which is 4x3 aspect, but there are settings for 4:3, 16:9 and auto. When playing back DVDs, it automatically does the vertical squeeze thing. I'm curious as to whether squeeze mode or the aspect settings would fix the RTV output to be the correct ratio.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SkiTyke
This is true for the component video output; however he would be supplying the RTV with the S-video output for which the aspect ratio is switchable.
Since when does 4:3 have a variable aspect ratio? It's always been 4:3 or 1.33:1

This switchable setting is generally used for the component output. The 4:3 downsampled output is generally always in one and only one format. Is the 151 different? Does it letterbox 16:9 sources or does it record the anamorphic image? I sure hope it's the anamorphic image.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a SIR-T351, this is the new replacement model for the SIR-T151.

bcochell is right, but I only see this as an issue if you have more that one replay, on at the HDTV set where the playback is spectacular and another at a 4:3 TV.

The information recorded with a 16:9 ratio is compressed in from the sides. Anyway I heard that being on TV makes you look like you gained 10 lbs, I figure this squeesing makes it all even.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by quartrj
I have a SIR-T351, this is the new replacement model for the SIR-T151.

bcochell is right, but I only see this as an issue if you have more that one replay, on at the HDTV set where the playback is spectacular and another at a 4:3 TV.

The information recorded with a 16:9 ratio is compressed in from the sides. Anyway I heard that being on TV makes you look like you gained 10 lbs, I figure this squeesing makes it all even.
Actually the image being squished in the horizontal causes the people look thinner, like they lost 10lbs. If it was a 4:3 source that's displayed in 16:9 then the people look short and fat.

A circle is 16:9 aspect when squished into a 4:3 frame will look like a thin oval squished in on the sides when viewed at 4:3, but stretched back to 16:9 looks like a circle. The squish isn't very much, but it is obvious.

The vertical aspect will always be the same, 480 lines (sometimes with letter boxing in the 4:3 frame for sources with >1.78:1 Aspect Ratios).

The horizontal squish is used to allow the AR to be correct when the horizontal stretch is applyed moving from 4:3 (source image) to 16:9 (display image)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
Actually the image being squished in the horizontal causes the people look thinner, like they lost 10lbs.
I think you missed my poor attempt at humor. What I was tring to say is that generally being on TV makes you look heavier.

Therefore if the image is squished in from the sides you would look thinner, thus evening it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.