AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read alot about different hdtv receivers. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I was thinking of purchasing the hughes e86 to save a little money. Is this a good idea?? How important is dvi in purchasing a hd receiver and if it is impoortant what receiver would you recommend. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Banned
16 Posts
I also have the HLN 467. It is an excellent HD set. My SAT receiver is the Zenith 520. I picked it up at a closeout price. The receiver and TV are connected using both the DVI and component cables. Frankly, I can tell virtually no difference between the two. Many folks here on the forum extoll the virtues of DVI, and make no mistake about it, the picture quality is very good. However, so is the picture quality with quality component connections. I selected the Zenith because it had DVI, and I'm glad I have it. However, I'm not sure I would make DVI an absolute requirement if I had it all to do over again. The Zenith/Sony box is a good choice for reasons other than DVI, but with DVI thrown in and at closeout pricing it is a good deal and it should be close in price to the Hughes. The only negative regarding the Zenith/Sony unit is that it loses it's favorite channels settings if/when the unit loses power. Resetting these channels is rather time consuming. The new Sony HD-300 should be out in a few weeks but I've read nothing to indicate if the new unit fixes this bug.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.