AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a hd receiver. I have the samsung HLN467W. The receiver should have a dvi output. Is it true that when your watching standard direct tv versus hd direct tv that you have to change inputs. Meaning hdtv through dvi and sd direct tv through s-video for example. This seems like a real pain in the ass. Is there any receiver that allows you to watch all direct tv through the same input??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see that people are reading the thread but nobody wants to help me out and give me some advice. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kydee6039
I'm looking to purchase a hd receiver. I have the samsung HLN467W. The receiver should have a dvi output. Is it true that when your watching standard direct tv versus hd direct tv that you have to change inputs. Meaning hdtv through dvi and sd direct tv through s-video for example. This seems like a real pain in the ass. Is there any receiver that allows you to watch all direct tv through the same input??
I don't know about that specific model, but you shouldn't need to change inputs on your TV. The receiver will just upconvert the non SD signal on the same output. If you're watching an HD channel and you switch to a SD channel, the picture will look a lot worse and you'll see black bars on the sides.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The model refered to (HLN467W) is my tv. I haven't decided on a receiver yet. So your saying that you can just flip channels and if the show is hd it shows up as hd and if it's sd then it shows up as sd (worse pic with black bars on the side). No changing the inputs??

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kydee6039
So your saying that you can just flip channels and if the show is hd it shows up as hd and if it's sd then it shows up as sd (worse pic with black bars on the side). No changing the inputs??
Yes, that's the way it works with mine (DTC-100), the SD signal is upconverted (and stretched if you don't like the black bars) and sent out the VGA output. I assume it will work the same way on a receiver with DVI output, someone else with one can chime in I guess.

I know there are some people who don't like the way the SD signal is upconverted so they switch to the s-video output when watching SD stuff, and let their display device do the conversion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's not like you have to physically switch the inputs as you go from HD channels to SD channels - you just select the input on the remote (assuming you have both hooked up of course).

I've never heard of anyone who found the SD channels acceptable through the component or DVI inputs though. Chris, Are you saying you find that watchable? And if so have you compared it with the S-Vid input?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.