AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of the receivers have the capability of down-converting to a format that can be used by Tivo recorders?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pretty much all of them do. However -- they generally won't downconvert HDTV to NTSC and also output HDTV at the same time, so you can watch live or record but not both. Also current Tivo software doesn't know anything about DTV stations, how to send enough digits to select the right subchannel, or how to switch between HDTV/NTSC output. This means you have to do this all manually, using timers on the sat box, which defeats a lot of the utility of a Tivo. So at this time you are probably better off just getting a cheap 2nd receiver to use with a standalone Tivo, or getting a DirecTivo combo model.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you're interested in TiVo, I would highly recommend getting a DirecTiVo receiver.

I recently bought the Sony SAT-T60 and also subscribed to local channels at the same time. This combination is unbeatable! Of course, it won't record HD, but I'll watch the HD live and TiVo everything else.

With a stand-alone TiVo, everything you recorded from a HD receiver would be downconverted to 480i anyway. The DirecTiVo receivers record the actual satellite feed and convert it when playing it back, so every recording is the same quality as watching it live.

Having two DirecTV receivers, one of them a TiVo unit, means that you can alway watch what you want, even if there's two programs on that you want at the same time. And when TiVo activates the second tuner that's already in every DirecTiVo receiver, it will be like having three DirecTV receivers!

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Samsung SIR-T150 will output a HDTV feed and composite/S-Video at the same time. So you can watch HDTV, and record the 480i version at the same time.

Chris

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Also note that Dolby Digital 5.1 sound can be recorded with DirecTV PPV movies and played back as DD 5.1 on the DirecTiVo units. After all, the sound is a big part of the movie watching experience, with or without HD.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Budget_HT (edited 06-13-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.