AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing post that keeps referring to the slow roll-out of HDTV in the USA and how fast the rest of the world is adopting DTV.

What we have is a apple & orange situation. The US => 95,000 HDTV receivers, rest of the world = 0 receivers. (Did I miss something somewhere?)

Now, the US = 15,000,000 DTV receivers (probably more than the rest of the world combined). Many US models include Dolby Digital (up to six channels of sound). Anyone else, besides Australia, with this capability?

P.S. The header name should have been HDTV OTA Receivers: US=95000, Rest Of World=0

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 04-20-2001).]

·
Banned
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wendell R. Breland:
I keep seeing post that keeps referring to the slow roll-out of HDTV in the USA and how fast the rest of the world is adopting DTV.

What we have is a apple & orange situation. The US => 95,000 HDTV receivers, rest of the world = 0 receivers. (Did I miss something somewhere?)

Now, the US = 15,000,000 DTV receivers (probably more than the rest of the world combined). Many US models include Dolby Digital (up to six channels of sound). Anyone else, besides Australia, with this capability?
So cable and satellite are doing real good but they don't show much HDTV. Nobody has a headlock on them to force them to do HDTV even though no one is watching. Chicken or egg problem.

We do have sort of a headlock on the OTA broadcasters because they promised Congress HDTV with their fingers crossed and got free spectrum to do it.

But the broadcasters are in bed with the competition (cable) because they get paid by cable companies per subscriber for content that cable has to carry by law. They wouldn't want to lose that would they?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Last night I received ota a st def broadcast of 'Jesus Christ Superstar' in dolby digital surround sound on WHYY channel 12.1 while the same station on sub channel 12.2 offered a high definition broadcast of 'The Face of Jesus'. I had absolutely no reception problems using a $30 antenna. Where else in the world can one receive free multicast programming like this? Show me one real time example.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
What can be done to get the other 1200 broadcasters to deliver HD transmissions and programming?
Let's start by arranging you to visit them. They'll either quit the business or be nagged to death.

------------------

Geof

·
Banned
215 Posts
I did meet with Bud Paxson a few years ago and pleaded the case for rapid HDTV implementation.

Bud left the conference table and came back with a report from Sinclair concerning the multipath problems with 8-VSB and the advantages of COFDM over 8-VSB.

Since then, Bud left to La La Land and no HDTV on PaxTV.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am sure after Bud Paxson along with a few seconds with you he wished he never came back and he probably regreted every word you uttered to him.

Quote:
quoted by Bob Utne
"I did meet with Bud Paxson a few years ago" + "Bud left the conference table and came back" Ut-Oh!...Im sure that was his big mistake!

Quote:
quoted by Bob Utne
Since then, Bud left to La La Land and no HDTV on PaxTV

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury...I rest my case!

------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dpak2000:

Man, I would fear the day Bob Utne came within 100 feet of me http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif , the guy is scary. With his fixation, he'd probably stalk every individual at NAB who supported 8-vsb in the vote.B]

If you think about it, we ARE being stalked. His behavior is exactly like one of those psychos who just cannot be reasoned with, no matter how hard anyone tries.

[This message has been edited by dcarl (edited 04-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by dcarl (edited 04-12-2001).]

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rotary:
So cable and satellite are doing real good but they don't show much HDTV.
OK, one more time, very slowly....: I keep seeing post that keeps referring to the slow roll-out of HDTV in the USA and how fast the rest of the world is adopting DTV.

Please, No thread drift.

------------------

Wendell

MAETV

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
where did the 95k stat come from? i have seen several posts asking how many recievers where out there. specifically many wanted to know how many directtv hdtv stbs were out there since directtv stated that they would not add programming until a certain number of stbs were sold.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by indygreg:
where did the 95k stat come from?
I believe "95k" includes STBs sitting in wharehouses (factory and retailer) and on dealer shelves. The actual number in the hands of consumers is probably half that figure or somewhat less.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray H:
I believe "95k" includes STBs sitting in wharehouses (factory and retailer) and on dealer shelves. The actual number in the hands of consumers is probably half that figure or somewhat less.
Of those receivers in consumer hands how many are used for satellite reception only, for satellite and OTA and for OTA only?

This may reduce the figure even more. There was a report of a consumer who didn't even know that his unit would work for OTA.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Let's not forget our friends up north. Both fo the Canadian DBS services (Bell Express Vu and Star Choice) offer HDTV along with HDTV and DTV recievers (such as the BEV 6000, for HDTV, and 4500 for DTV). I have no idea what the numbers are, though, and some of those number may be tainted slightly in that some of those recievers end up in American households who do not have local HDTV programming yet.

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'd dispute the "Rest of World=0" part. Japan had about 1.3 million HDTV households by the end of 2000* -- 1 million on their older MUSE-HDTV analog service, and 300,000 digital HDTV receivers. This is expected to grow to 10,000,000 within 3 years.

Plus, they have programming. A new digital satellite service has 7 broadcasters providing HDTV. NHK shows HDTV 24/7.

When it comes to HDTV, the Japanese have the most, so far.

*Source: "HDTV at the turn of the century...", ITU News, March 2001

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Most stores only have 5 to 10 units each RCA, Sony, Panasonic, Mits, Tosh, Hughes. Most stores do not carry every unit. Most store do not kept large inventory of anything because it takes up space and money. Most viewers own only one STB, but many have more then one; myself, I own two, one built in and on DTC-100, both Satellite and OTA. Broadcasters own on the average two consumer STB’s, I would guess.

200 stations are Broadcasting DTV that’s would be an average of 400 consumers STB’s at the station. I would submit as of today April 17, 2001, 100K STB’s are in the market most of them 90% are in the hands of the consumer.

Just look at the Sony STB try to find one. Mits were sold out for so long that they now just have stock. Go to www.**************.com and Video, TV’s and 36†and you will notice that the RCA 36†HDTV is sold out again awaiting more inventories. Or www.copperbox.com and see what is low in stock. Just pointing out that demand is high and every day someone is buying a HDTV (ready or full).

And don’t forget the cable companies that have start passing HDTV like Texas, which has issued the Scientific Atlantic with no addition cost to the consumer.

If Monday Night Football comes back this year the number could hit a million before the year-ends. Fox has the Super Bowl this year and may do nothing with it, so it is up to ABC and CBS to take it up another level.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My question is, how many of those 300,000 digital hdtv receivers in japan are receiving their signals free ota. I thought hdtv programming in Japan was basically subscription service via satellite. Can anyone provide a reference which describes current over-the-air broadcast digital tv status in Japan. I don't have access to the referenced article in ITU news. thanks.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Found a reference that says that Japan decision on broadcast standards for 'terrestial' television has been delayed til 2003. Does their 'terrestial' television equate to our ota digital television?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
Found a reference that says that Japan decision on broadcast standards for 'terrestial' television has been delayed til 2003. Does their 'terrestial' television equate to our ota digital television?
Yes, OTA means terrestrial.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BarryO:
Wendell's post was about HDTV receivers; he didn't say OTA-only http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif In fact, I think that was his point
Barry, Exactly, thanks for the heads-up. I meant for the header name to be HDTV OTA Receivers: US=95000, Rest Of World=0

Brain and fingers were using different sync generators when the original message was posted. I caught it later but assumed most would know it was referenced to OTA.

------------------

Wendell

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 04-20-2001).]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.