AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a a DTC 100 that works reasonably well for one station in my area (2-1, 25-2). Granted I do live on the fringe of the Indianapolis viewing area (about 65 mi SE) but about 6 months ago I turned my antenna toward Cincinnati, OH to try to locate a digital channel in that area. They have an analog channel 9 which my DTC 100 attempted to recieve. Ever sice this incident, I can no longer get the DTC 100 to receive channel 9-1, 9-2, 9-3, 9-4. These were only sporatically available prior to this incident. These are digital channels (CBS) in Indianpolis. I have rotated the antenna in extremly small increments but to no avail. Does anyone know how to force the DTC 100 to accept 9-1,2,3,4 rather that reverting to the analog channel in Cincinnati, which it can't receive either. Also any Ideas on amplification would be greatly apprecited as I have the biggest "digital" antenna available and a preamp attached. Thanks....jmac

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You need to clear the memory!
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...fairguide.html

Off the Air Guide

If you do the auto search feature on the DTC, it finds all the analog and digital stations that your system can pickup. If you want to remove any of the analog stations, the digital stations may get deleted as well.

If you want to remove the analog but keep only digital, do the following:

Set Off the Air Guide to NO

You can now remove the analogs without losing the digitals.

To start from scratch:

Set Off the Air Guide to NO

Unplug the antenna

Do a search. This will clear the list

Turn on the Off Air Guide but DO NOT do a search

Input the digital station numbers and they will change to the PSIP assigned channels

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
887 Posts
jmac,

Hi neighbor!

This co-channel problem affects me also.I lose Indy DT9 every time I scan towards Cinn.As I'm closer to Indy than you,I can point back towards Indy,do a re-scan,and add DT9 to the channel guide again.In your case at 65mi.,that probably will be harder to do.

You can't "force" the DTC to add any DT stations,unless there's sufficient signal strength to lock onto and add to the channel guide.

If you could furnish some more specific info as to your install,I'd be happy to give you some suggestions.

Make and model numbers of antenna and pre-amp.

Height above ground of antenna.

Do you have a rotor?

What about trees?

BTW.have you pointed towards Lousville to pick up DT-17?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responces. I was able to get the DTC 100 to quit looking for analog channel 9 out of Cincinnati but have been unable to obtain WISH-DT (9-1,2,3,4). I can obtain 25-2, 25-3 (Indy ABC DTV) I have a huge new channel master antenna (model 3671B) it is on a rotor and has a new channel master preamp. This is on a 30 ft tower. This may only negate the fact that I live on a wooded lot. The current maps show not digital stations available to me however 4 miles from my location all the Indy stations are avalable. Does anyone know what Indy channel 46-1 is currently broadcasting. Last year when I set this up I was able to get the "film loop" which included the move of the Cape Hatteras light house. Wouls an additional 20dB amp increase my chances? Thanks..............jmac

·
Registered
887 Posts
jmac,

Do not use an additional amp.

The best possible setup for you would be the CM4251 UHF dish and a Winegard CC3190 10 element cut-to-channel for DT-9.I've used this setup and it is the best,period.

If you could add another section of tower that would help also.

The UHF section on your present antenna is around 9db which is not enough for the distances involved.

If your interested,I can tell you exactly how to install this and approximately what it would cost.How deep are your pockets?<grin>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am interested. The extra antenna section at this point is out because it would thrust me into some parts of the tree that wouldn't allow rotation. Is it possible to combine the signal of these two antennas with my current one as it receives Louisville KY quite well but have up until now not received "17" from Louisville PBS. Eventually Louisville should come on line with DTV staations, at that time the Channel master should work quite well...........Jmac

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you can get 15 or 68 from Louisville than you should be able to get 17 from Louisville.

They are on the same tower.

good luck.

The ch 17 transmitter will be changed out by the end of the year (don't ask)

max hd

covington and owenton should be up and running by the end of the year, (Nov and Dec)

woot

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
887 Posts
Jmac,

Wouldn't be a good idea to combine additional antennas to the one you already have.

Sounds like you're close to some trees.That could be hampering some signals,especially on UHF.

The setup I described would require 10ft. of mast above the top of your tower to accommodate both antennas.Your rotor would be mounted inside the tower about 2ft.below the top using a special bracket.

You would probably need a different preamp such as a CM7777 which has seperate inputs for each antenna.

The cost for the new equipment would be around $300 depending on how much you had to pay for the 4251.They are scarce and getting more expensive.The easiest way to put this up is to use a bucket- truck.

It would,of course,be cheaper to wait until the stations in Louisville come online.Maybe by next spring or summer.

Not surprised you can't get DT-17.Unless WHAN-17 in Salem goes off the Air,or WKPC DT-17 changes their transmitting frequency to another channel-YOU WON'T!!!!

Hi Woot!

Think I'll round up some PBS-hungry Hoosiers and form a posse to go "waveguide hunting".

<grin>

[This message has been edited by MAX HD (edited 09-28-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.