Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a choice between getting a HDTV reciever or the regular reciever with tivo built in. I could really use the Tivo, but I love High Definition what should I do?

Anthony

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Either wait for the HD Tivo, or choose between recording/timeshifting and HD.

Many people, once they are used to PVR/DVR, never want to go back. Many, also, once they see HD, are hooked. I have 4 Replays, but still watch Prime Time and D* HD in HD, and then other timeshifted things on the Replays.

Since you aren't used to a Tivo yet, I'd get a HD STB now, and then a HD Tivo when it's out and stable (that may take 6 months, seriously).

Hope that helps!

(And your subject could have been better put as " Choose HD STB or SD Tivo?")

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that, I didn't know the best way to word that.

So it's best for me to get the HD Direc TV now! My only issue is the price!

I found though that dish network in my area is offering a HD reciever free with install. Maybe I'll look into that!

By the way, what would get me the best quality when recording HD shows.

Anthony

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
If you have been a DirecTV custoimer for 2 years in good standing, then try to get in on the unadvertised deal to get an HD receiver, either the Samsung TS160 or Hughes HTL-HD, for $99. See the thread in this forum for details.

I got an HDTV and couldn;t wait for the HDTiVo so I want for the HD receiver deal when it was $399. Then I found out about the $99 deal, called DirecTV and go a $300 credit. So for $99 I can watch HD and fill the void until the HDTiVO is released.:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Best quality recording HD? Hm.... Well, if $$ isnt an object, D-VHS. But plan on dropping a few k on that. Recordable DVD's are gettin cheaper by the minute.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the dvhs (wow). I guess I'll just wait and save for the dvd recorder. Does anyone know if that deal for a DirecTV HDTV Reciver $99 is still available. I want to get in on that deal.

Anthony

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get both!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Since the $99 deal for the HD receiver is unadvertised, it can be withdrawn at any time. You should give DirecTV a call and ask them. You may have to pay the full amount up front and then get a credit on your account. If the CSR doesn't know anything about it, ask for a supervisor or call back later and talk to a different one.

Check the $399 thread in this forum for details.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
For existing D* customers, call the DirecTV retention deparment.

Their direct number is: 800 600-8977

Merely mentioning the possibility of switching to cable or dish network will usually get you a good HD deal. It helps if you've been a customer at least 2 years and currently spend $40 or more a month on programming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.