AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a 16:9 tube-type HDTV (ie not projection). I know absolutely nothing about HDTVs and would like some recommendations. Something around 32"-36"

------------------

--doug <(©¿©)>

·
Registered
619 Posts
Doug,

I'm leaning towards the Philips 34PW9817, based on what I've been able to see at Circuit City and the fact I can't bring myself to spend the extra $1,000 it would cost me to get the Sony KD34XBR2. I have the Echostar 6000 receiver with the ATSC tuner module, so all I need is an HDTV monitor. The Sony is a true HDTV set in that no set top box is required, except for satellite services.

------------------

--Roland W. Fox

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got the sony 34xbr2 last week and am very happy with it. This is my first hdtv so I did not have a hdtv turner. The built in turner is really nice.

You should be able to get at least 10% off. Just tell them you will buy it right now if they reduce the price. I got mine for a little over 10% off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I definitely need an HDTV tuner so the Sony sounds enticing.

------------------

--doug <(©¿©)>

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The 36" 4:3 Sony XBR450, Panasonic Tau and new Toshiba HDTV ready sets are anywhere from $700 to $1700 cheaper than their 34" widescreen counterparts, so you should consider that. It might not be worth the extra $$$.

The only real advantage the widescreen sets have is that the resolution with 1080i material will be greater than on the 4:3 sets.

The 4:3 sets have 16x9 compression, so you can have the anamorphic squeeze and that comes in handy, especially with DVD's.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't overlook the RCA F38310. 38", 16:9, built-in DirectTV and ATSC tuners (similar to DTC-100), commonly priced at $2500, usually can be found lower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.