1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of questions about HDTV.

1. Are there any PVR's that support it?

2. How much disk space would be a 60 minute program

3. If your going to record at reduced quality, is there any point recording HDTV?

4. I'm guessing compression would need to be a lot faster to keep up and thus be very CPU Intensive resulting in much bigger cost?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
The first HDTV pvr are going to be the satellite service and digital cable models because they will record the digital stream without any need for encoding at the box. The Dish* 922 is promised to ship late this year. Scientific Atlanta is also promising an HD cable box PVR. Standalones will probably take much longer to develop due to the encoding issues you mentioned. I've heard anywhere from 9 to 17 GB per hour being bandied about for HD-HD space requirements.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, good questions!

1) Tivo has announced that they will make an HDTV unit. Perhaps the DirectTivo can now, because some satellite is broadcast in HDTV (I really have no idea about that, I own a replay) See Answer 4 for more info.

2) depends on the "resolution" of the program. HD is what, 21 different resolutions/sizes/bitrates?

3) see answer 4.

4) HDTV is broadcast in already compressed MPEG-2 format (so is DirectTV.) The DVR simply needs to catch the data stream and save it to it's HD. it would be inefficient to save it at a different size/bitrate because you would have to uncompress lossy video (MPEG2) then resize it, then reencode it, which would probably generate a fair amount of visual noise.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have the HiDTV PC card that I use to record OTA HDTV. It's connected to my Sony 60" GWII via component and when I'm viewing the recording (1080i) I can pause it, and go forward/back in increments of 5, 15, 30 or 60 seconds (BTW, these values can be customized). I don't see a noticeable difference between Live and recorded.

The recordings are timer based, and it uses TitanTV for the Guide data.

If I recall correctly a 60 minute show is approx. 8GB and change (I'll verify when I get home).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.