Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HDTV RF ModulatorHello HD Fans,

I'm looking for an HDTV RF Modulator. What I want to do is take a DVI|Component|RGB HDTV 480i/p, 720p, or 1080i signal and send it out on a RG-6 RF cable on a DTV channel. What I'm really trying to do is take the HD output from a Sony HD200 Satellite receiver send it the MyHD card. You'll note that the MyHD card doesn't have an HD video input for this. The SVideo is as close as it gets, but this obviously isn't what I want to do. I would also like to feed other TVs in the house the HD signal and the easiest way to do this would be over a standard DTV RF signal. If you know where I could get something like this, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I don't know off-hand where to get a device like this, but I am going to bet that it's expensive -- on the order of thousands of dollars (like $5K). I was looking for an RGB overlay device, which takes one VGA signal and superimposes it another VGA signal, and I couldn't find a device less than $4-5K that did this. All of this type of equipment was from companies that sell to broadcasters or the military.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
In other words, you want the equivalent of the Dish 5000 modulator but for use with DirectTV. Forget about it, it doesn't, and never will, exist. That is, except for professional equipment which is probably upwards of $50K and may not even be available for purchase.

Mark

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdv
In other words, you want the equivalent of the Dish 5000 modulator but for use with DirectTV. Forget about it, it doesn't, and never will, exist.
I wouldn't say "never", since it seems it has its uses. Current video distribution systems for the home are based on NTSC RF-modulators, so future ones could be based on ATSC RF-modulators. I do doubt we will see any inexpensive ones that have component video inputs, but one with some sort of digital input would be easy and fairly inexpensive to build.

·
Registered
194 Posts
nabsltd,

Actually I would expect the video distro standard to change to IP based to preclude the issues associated with multiple video sources....

·
Registered
797 Posts
A reasonable request, I suppose, but the real problem is that you need to modulate the MPEG-2 stream to be affordable, not the decoded stream that comes out DVI etc... The process of encoding a raw stream in MPEG-2 is much more computationally challenging than decoding and at HDTV resolutions probably beyond the capabilities of any affordable component at this time.

But an MPEG-2 stream to ATSC Modulation sounds very reasonable. I don't see why this would be expensive. The only real challenge is getting access to the stream...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xstanbx
nabsltd,

Actually I would expect the video distro standard to change to IP based to preclude the issues associated with multiple video sources....
That would make sense for us HTPC geeks, but I think that manufacturers who actually build the current equipment would stick with a setup where just replacing the two ends (sender and receiver) would allow an old install to be used for new standards.

·
Registered
664 Posts
God, some one please create a 169Time alternative and sell it for a reasonable price. I would also be happy with an 8PSK->8VSB ATSC modulator. I am sure I will never see a 3rd party modulator like that either aimed at consumer (read cheap). Our best bet is to wait for HDDirectTivo and for the kiddies to hack it. I would be happy with that if it had a bigger drive or way to store shows on my HTPC. I just can't stand deleting quality broadcasts off my hard drives! :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
A component/vga/rgbhv to atsc "modulator" currently only exists a a rackmountable device used by broadcasters costing many thousands of dollars.

The main issue is the HDTV bit rate mpeg-2 real-time compression. While there are very in-expensive SDTV bitrate mpeg2 encoding chips(ala Hauppauge pvr-250) the ones for hdtv rates are actually a expensive chipset.

Ideally we need to cut out the decompression in the cable/sat box all together and just send out the mpeg-2 stream, thats already been encoded for you on the broadcasters end.

Although this stream is for the most part unaccessible because it is encrypted to prevent precisely what everyone wants this for on this forum, that is to get that mpeg2 stream on to your HD for timeshift/copy purposes.

It is a sad state of affairs right now, just think that wonderful HDTV mpeg-2 stream is right there in your set-top box, its just that none of the sat/cable providers will buy the firewire options for thier boxes.

Don't get me wrong I prefer DVI on my HDTV set, but I also really believe firewire is IDEAL for everything up to the video processor(HTPC), just think of a cable box that shows up in Windows as a capture/tuner device when its connected via firewire, no more ir blasters or d->a->d conversion, just digital video and audio in, and digital control of the cable box all thru ONE wire, that could even handle more than one set-top box.

Justin

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you're going to wish for digital control of a cable box from a HTPC, why not go all the way and wish for a full 5C HAVI controller implemented in software to go with it? The other solution is a PCI based QAM tuner card with POD slot. That would be sweet too. Of course, I don't expect to ever see these things on the market, but hey, if you're wishing, why not wish for the stars.

- Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just did a search on 'HAVI'... and, finding this last post, I am forced to reply... Tell me, does the Mitsubishi HDTV with integrated tuner and firewire/HAVi output fit the bill? I am searching for a way to utilize this firewire/HAVi datastream, but have not yet found a HAVi device to plug into it-- excepting Mitsu's own DVCR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.