Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm wanting to get DirecTV and a HD Satellite receiver, but was wondering what's best? I would consider an HDTV Tuner card for a PC, but there aren't any that work with DirecTV currently, correct?

This would go with my Mitsu WS-55859 which has IEEE 1394, so FireWire outputs on the receiver would be great (but I don't think there are any yet - any on the horizon?). I'd also like digital out (preferably optical b/c my coax input is already used). I also want component video out - maybe 2 (I think the RCA just has DB15?). And of course, I want the best picture quality (that's most important). So, what are my best choices?

Hughes?

Toshiba?

Mitsubishi?

Sony?

Are there new products on the horizon from Mitsu (or others) that use Firewire? What else should I be considering here? Are the differences between the various receivers insignificant (aside from the connections anyway)? Is it better to wait now and see what comes out later? I can't get any HDTV currently, and I'd really like to have at least something to try out with my new RPTV. Thanks in advance,

--Kyle

·
Registered
271 Posts
Zenith - discontinued but superb

Samsung - new Directv box due out soon, with DVI?

The scalers vary a little in quality when scaling SD content to HD scan rates (except the Sony which is awful) but mostly the video performance is about even. Don't forget to have your Mitsu 1080i input professionally calibrated, absolutely essential for best HD picture.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Do the new DISH stbs (6000) offer BOTH 1080i and 720p outputs? Will the new samsung do the same?

My understanding is that ONLY the zenith currently will ouput both....at least until it is discontinued.

I do know that the PC HDTV tuners (Telemann HiPix DTV200 and the MIT MyHD MDR-100) currently on the market will output BOTH 1080i and 720p BUT, as you mentioned, are not compatible with satellite and will only output OTA signals. So that means, use the PC card for ABC 720p and buy a sattellite stb for all else in 1080i (NBC, CBS, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, HD-NET and Discovery-HD, due out this summer).(This doesn't include pissy-assed FOX in 480p which both will do).

Or, you can wait until this summer and step up to the plate with a MIT MDR-500 which will satisfy ALL you High Def needs in 1080p at 72 Hz, so long as your monitor can handle it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. It looks like the Zenith may be a good option. I'm not sure where I'd be able to find it, but I'll look. I also may just wait for something better to come out. What's on the way? Firewire would obviously be good, but picture quality is my biggest concern here. I'm afraid I just don't know enough about HDTV yet.

If the receivers other than Zenith output only 1080i, what happens with 720p programs? I assume they're upconverted? If so, does that look worse than 720p not upconverted?

Also, if I were to get an HD Tuner card, can it receive the output from the DirecTV HD Satellite receiver so that I can record HDTV?

On the MIT MDR-500, how will the appearance differ at 1080p when the programs are at 1080i / 720p to begin with? That won't improve them any, will it? Could someone explain this to me?

Does it sound like either DVI or Firewire will be required for viewing some HDTV in the future? If so, it sounds like it would be a waste to buy an HD Satellite receiver now... Thanks again,

--Kyle

·
Registered
908 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.