AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be nice if the network that is broadcasting an HD signal have a logo that would show what rate the show is being broadcast in? It would make sense as they already put network and local logo's on. Or maybe they could just put it on at the beginning of the show with the sponsers logo such as ie: Zenith HDTV 1080i or Mitsubishi 720p. I think this would help out the novice with scaling the set to match the scan rate of his monitor if it allows it to be able to. Just an observation that I thought would help out the networks.

I know ABC does a program guide before the prime-time to show what is in HDTV here in Houston as I would imagine it does around the country. Maybe the networks do only scan one frequency such as ABC in 720p but I think this would help with getting the word out. Last night Enterprise was sponsered by Zenith HDTV but did not mention the scan rate. See what I mean. I am sure there is a lot of people out there that do not have their monitors set up properly and maybe this would give them a little idea of what they are supposed to do. Cheers.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If it is not on ABC or ESPN (both owned by the same company) it is 1080i (to all indications FOX will be 720p when they go HD, but that has not yet occurred).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
See the HDTV Programming Synopsis.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Skyboss
"F"ox is 720p.
Not quite yet. They will be 720p when they go to HD, this fall. For now, it's 480p, more or less.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Consumers are not supposed to do anything, and they don't need to know the HDTV format. The TV will convert as necessary.

If a more advanced user wants to take it upon himself or herself to figure out what TV has a display mode that matches certain broadcasts, then so be it. There is no reason to confuse the average consumer with such details.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I can see it now. "Fox, now in overcompressed, low resolution".

Come to think of it, that pretty much IS what their banner seez.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
FOX is far from overcompressed. A typical FOX affiliate devotes 12 Mbps to a 704 x 480 progressive picture. That's about the least amount of compression you're going to see anywhere.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Steve, I for one think this is a good idea. I am not sure if this was a function of the Direct TV receiver or my friend's 62" widescreen, but when he changed channels it displayed the resolution in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.

Also, can anyone backup Balazer's comment? Does the TV truely convert as necessary or is it better to match the broadcast resolution?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by balazer
FOX is far from overcompressed. A typical FOX affiliate devotes 12 Mbps to a 704 x 480 progressive picture.
18Mbps here in DC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.