Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HDTV Schedule at AtlantaDTV.org is now operational. It can be found at:

schedule.atlantadtv.org

As CB (the true brains and muscle behind the schedule) has posted before in this forum, the purpose of the schedule is two-fold:

1. To provide a useful resource to the HDTV community.

2. To promote DTV and HDTV by illustrating what content is available.

Regarding 1.:

Schedule features:

-Format: "True" HDTV (1080i and 720p) shows are shown with a blue border. "Enhanced TV" shows (e.g., widescreen 480p and Showtime's OAR widescreen upconverts) are shown with no border.

-Popups: As you move your cursor over the title of a show, it will give episode information, if available.

-Links: Most titles are active links to the show or network's web site.

It is best to view the schedule with MS Internet Explorer. For reasons we've tried to overcome, Netscape won't display all of the "features" of the schedule.

We're still working on getting the content into the schedule so that it is complete and accurate. The schedule is more or less up-to-date through this weekend, especially in prime time. Unfortunately, some schedules (such as Showtime's) are inconsistent. So, our schedule will only be as accurate as our sources (which in most cases are the networks' web sites). We are still working on getting more reliable sources with longer lead times. As HDNet ramps up and makes available their schedule, we'll add it also. We are considering adding PPV channels, but I will stop short of promising this. Over time, we are hoping to add a "time zone feature", but the priority for the next few weeks is a complete eastern time zone schedule with links and popup info.

Regarding 2.:

The HDTV schedule is part of AtlantaDTV.org . I hope you take some time to browse the AtlantaDTV site and see what we're trying to do. One goal is to provide a 10-minute DTV "story" for the newbie and DTV uninitiated -- "what", "why", and "how". The level is well below that of most on the AVS Forum. We've tried to be accurate, if not necessarily comprehensive or too technical. We hope potential DTV and HDTV converts can be pointed to our site for information on DTV (especially DTV reception in Atlanta).

In the coming weeks, those of us in Atlanta plan to promote our site locally. One goal is to have retailers be familiar with the site so that they can point people to it and possibly learn something from it themselves.

The bottom line is that we want to promote DTV and HDTV. We figure that the more people who watch DTV, the more support it will receive from networks, affiliates, and hardware manufacturers -- which benefits all of us. CB and I hope that others in other cities will do something similar -- sort of a grass roots DTV effort. We'll be happy to help and share some of the work that we have done. Just contact us.

Of course, constructive comments on the schedule and general AtlantaDTV.org web site are welcome.

We appreciate the help of those in Atlanta (especially participants in the Atlanta HDTV Yahoo! group) and the comments from folks here on the AVSForums.

We hope you find the site useful.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd like to point out that Jason has done almost all of the work behind the AtlantaDTV site, other than the schedule, and he has been very helpful with the schedule part as well. Thanks a bunch Jason. I think your work will have an impact.

We hope that schedule.atlantadtv.org will be useful to many people and will create visibility for AtlantaDTV.org .

The thing that really got us going on this is that so many people of all sorts of backgrounds have no idea that OTD DTV exists. So we have created this site to at least give them the idea. Hopefully that will take root and the word will spread and more people will be introduced to this top quality, free, source of programming. Please review these pages, and start directing "newbies" and uninitiated to them.

Great work Jason!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good job guys. Seems to work fine in Netscape for me.

Just a couple of comments:

1) How about adding something on the web site that tells users that the blue outline means the show is HDTV as opposed to EDTV?

2) If you're going to include Showtime's EDTV content why don't you have Fox's EDTV programs listed as well?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by alterego
Good job guys. Seems to work fine in Netscape for me.
Thanks. For me, Netscape works, but does not look very good.

Quote:

1) How about adding something on the web site that tells users that the blue outline means the show is HDTV as opposed to EDTV?
We'll try to add that. Good point.

Quote:

2) If you're going to include Showtime's EDTV content why don't you have Fox's EDTV programs listed as well?
We certainly intend to do this -- in fact, we started the whole "enhanced thing" because of Fox. Trouble is, we've had a difficult time confirming what is and isn't in widescreen 480p on Fox (we don't want to label non-widescreen 480p as enhanced). We had someone from our local affiliate help us out today, so look for those listings soon.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.