AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to HDTV, so please excuse my ignorance ;)

I get HDNet on stat, but I have yet to see any HD movies on HBO or Cinemax etc...

My Mitsubishi 55711, built in OTA tuner seems to pick up a few stations in HD, but when it scans to memorize channels, it is sporadic in picking up many of the channels? I assume that if there is no HDTV signal being broadcast at the time, I am auto scanning for channels, those channels are not tuned in? Some days, I get NBC tuned in fine, the next day, I only get fox? Does that make sense? It's kind of a pain to re-do the antenna tuning all the time to see what is currently being aired.

Also, does anyone know if there is a twin cities HD club or anything of the sort?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
the twin cities pbs station has a bulletin board about dtv, where local hd issues are discussed somewhat but the response there to questions can be days.

I'll look for the url, or maybe another twin cities member will post it.

abc 50-1 nbc 35-1 cbs 32-1 all do hd here, wb doesn't at least as of a couple months ago, but since it is run by a very anti hd broadcast group I doubt it is in hd now. pbs 16-1 thur 16-5 ( multi casting) here does not do hd currently either but will have another dtv station going next May and then will.

NO club that i know of..

IF you have other questions you could pm or email me anytime, my address is in my profile.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
You might ask in THIS forum...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm in Savage, and I get them all fine with a Radio Shack HDTV antenna (hey, it was prettier than the others) on top of my Mitsu in my basement. So I'd say you probably just have antenna issues. It can be hard to get the perfect balance in the antenna position. Do you have an attic antenna?

·
Registered
137 Posts
while you may not always (or rarely) be seeing a "high definition" picture on the digital channels being broadcast in the twin cities, you should at least be receiving a signal on the digital frequencies. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN, and PBS are all broadcasting on their digital frequencies. not sure about WB - they used to, then they weren't, but i never watch it so i don't know about it's current status.

you'll really only see true high definition broadcasts during primetime shows or primetime recent movies (i.e. "it's a wonderful life" probably won't be shown in high def because no one wants to bother scanning the film). everything else will either be sent in standard definition over the digital frequency or be upconverted to "high def" with bars on the sides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wanted to reply to your post because a couple of days ago, I just installed a Winegard antenna HD7078P in my garage attic and directed it with a compass and a map book to the tower located in Shoreview, Mn. In addition, the STB that I installed was the Samsung - T165. I have had no problems after doing a channel search to get all the OTA stations. I too live in Lakeville and it was told to me that some areas of Lakeville is in kind of a valley. So your antenna may be a problem in locking in on the stations. In answer to your question of HDTV programing, I went on the internet and typed in HDTV programing and brought up the TC HDTV programs. Last night we watched on WCCO / CBS my wife's favorite program CSI and Without a Trace. It seems that all the commercials are done in 4x3 and when the high definition kicks in it is 16x9. Both programs were awesome.

In the subject of a HD or HT club in the Twin Cities, I haven't seen anything but would also be interested in starting a Charter club if we don't have one.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Count me in to the charter club. I too am south of the river and am expecting shipment of my Accessdtv card today. I'm glad to hear all the channels seem to come in. I picked up a Radio Shack 1080 HD indoor antenna the other day. They've got a 50% off coupon on their Web site which makes it $24.99 so I figured it's worth a try. I'll let you all know how this antenna set up works from my location in Farmington, paralel to Lakeville. If I end up having to go with an outdoor antenna I'd appreciate any info from locals on that. Ideally, I'd go with something low profile that I could put under an eave or something since I'm in a townhouse. In surfing the Web, it looks like there's a lot of marketing voodoo involved with some of these antennas like Terk, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, what great responses from so many locals :) Thanks for the feedback and links/resources.

I do have the largest Radio Shack outdoor antenna mounted in my attic, the thing is huge like 160" long, but maybe I need to tweak the direction of it. If I were to guess it is pointing NW from my attic.

HT Dude, where did you get the "map book to the tower located in Shoreview"? I bet that would fix my problems, if could point it in the exact direction.

BTW, I'm game for being involved with a local HD/HT club.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in Apple Valley, and I have a Radio Shack anteena mounted in the attic. I simply pointed it in the general direction of Shoreview.

Signal strength on the Toshiba DST-3000 is 100% across all of the digital channels.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lakeville here, by Lake Marion. I have the antenna in my basement and find that I have to tweak the direction a bit to get all the local HD channels, but it works!

Whiffy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update, I moved the direction of my attic antenna to point North East pointing towards Shoreview and whola! I now get all the channels (I think ;) ) Thanks again for everyones assistance. Since most of us live South of the river, maybe we should all get together for a beer someday :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm happy to hear that all worked out well with getting your antenna pointed in the right direction. It's nice to have all the assistance of local people interested in the same objectives. That beer idea sounds like a good one. If you want set up a time and a place to meet. Count me in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.