AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Panasonic HDTV model PT-47WX49 was delivered today in the muggy New England heat and unfortunately, one of the delivery guys must have placed his hand on the screen, which does not have a protective shield.

The top left corner has a very clear discoloration in small splotches and the case around that area had some sweat that was almost evaporated. The guys were sweating up a storm and one of them must have touched it by mistake (I told them to keep their hands off and they said they would). You cannot see the splotches unless you have the TV on with a clean signal (DVD). It is very hard to see via cable or VHS.

HOW DO I CLEAN THIS and CAN IT BE FIXED?! If not, I will just call Sears and have them replace it ASAP. Clearly, 2 grand for a TV with blotches is unacceptable.

I did a search on the Net and found web sites that said these screens cannot be cleaned, so is that incorrect? I sure as hell hope not because I do not want to go through this again.

I have posted this in multiple forums (AVS, HTF, etc.), so please excuse me if you saw this somewhere else. But I would greatly appreciate any knowledgeable responses!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens:
one of the delivery guys must have placed his hand on the screen, which does not have a protective shield.
Wow! That's some serious sh#@! your delivery guys must be sweating... I can imagine physical pressue bending the a relatively flexible screen, but not sweat damaging the screen.

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few drops Dawn soap in a bowl, fill it with WARM water, take a cotton T-shirt or other smooth clotch, wet, ring VERY GOOD & HARD so there is no dripping, wipe area of screen up and down.

Repeat, but without the Dawn.

Finally, use a lint free cloth to dry, upand down only.

Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Be exceedingly cautious when using the procedure you described in the future. As someone that handles telescope and expensive camera optics frequently, I would not even consider doing this - t-shirts can scratch coated glass easily (actually, it's the dirt on the lens that scratches), and your plastic RPTV screen is considerably less scratch-resistant than glass.

In general, I would do the following:

1) Using "canned air" carefully blow the screen free of loose dust and dirt.

2) Use distilled water to remove specific spots using a camera lens cleaning cloth from your local camera store. Use almost no pressure against the surface; instead, clean it by dragging the damp cloth over the spot with just the weight of the cloth.

3) If you have a stubborn spot, use a -small- amount of lens cleaning fluid (the non-alcoholic kind!) on the damp cloth, and rinse it with aother lens cleaning cloth dampened with distilled water.

4) Use the canned air to blow the area dry, and if necessary, use yet another camera cloth to remove smudges.

All in all, the best way to prevent scratches on telescope optics and HD RPTV screens is - don't clean it with direct contact at all, except when absolutely necessary.

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It worked for me, but I don't plan on doing it ever again as nobody else will ever get close to my TV. If the damn delivery guy hadn't put is sweaty hand there, this wouldn't have happened.

I would imagine that 5 hours later, if nothing is wrong (no discoloration or scratches), then nothing will go wrong with that section of the screen, yes?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Matt:

You're not likely to damage the screen -chemically- with ordinary household diswashing detergent (I can say this with some authority - I'm a chemical engineer when I'm not futzing around with HT).

I was just suggesting that you'll want to avoid rubbing your screen with anything in the future because of the scratch hazard.

------------------

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Be exceedingly cautious when using the procedure you described in the future. As someone that handles telescope and expensive camera optics frequently, I would not even consider doing this - t-shirts can scratch coated glass easily (actually, it's the dirt on the lens that scratches), and your plastic RPTV screen is considerably less scratch-resistant than glass.
I'm also an amateur photographer and astronomer. With all due respect, there's a big difference between cleaning an objective lens and cleaning the screen of an RPTV. The image formed by an objective lens is very highly magnified (via a telescope eyepiece or by enlarging/projecting a photographic print or slide). The image visible on an RPTV screen is viewed at 1:1 size. A small flaw on an RPTV screen is very unlikely to be visible at a distance of several feet. The described procedure sounds very reasonable to me.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I watched ROLLERBALL (non-anamorphic widescreen and artifact city) and THIRTEEN DAYS (a little soft, but quite nice) tonight and that spotting is 100% gone.

Just wish I could figure out how to minimize red push, which is at least 25%. I imagine I'll have to have the super hot grayscale taken care of when I get an ISF guy in here later this year.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"I'm also an amateur photographer and astronomer. With all due respect, there's a big difference between cleaning an objective lens and cleaning the screen of an RPTV. The image formed by an objective lens is very highly magnified (via a telescope eyepiece or by enlarging/projecting a photographic print or slide). The image visible on an RPTV screen is viewed at 1:1 size. A small flaw on an RPTV screen is very unlikely to be visible at a distance of several feet. The described procedure sounds very reasonable to me."

True enough, but approach it from this angle - an HD RPTV costs thousands - how many scratches would be acceptable? I only suggest more caution than the t-shirt maneuver because someone reading this may (or may not) assume that using such is "safe".

As I'm sure you know, any cleaning procedure that uses direct contact with the surface in question has the potential to scratch the surface, and if, for example, the screen was quite dusty/dirty, and you used the intially described procedure, you would most certainly scratch it. Personally, I'd rather buy a $5 can of "air" and prevent the scratches in the first place, but maybe that's just me. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.