AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. This is my first post on this forum, but you were referred to by the BX board as being good with this kind of stuff. My question is this, I just got an HDTV, 52 LG DLP. I know that each tv is different so this may be impossible to answer fully, but I was wondering in general, what are the best settings to run with on the tv? I have a feeling that the default settings aren't where they should be. I'm downloading a Avia Home Theater Set up disc, but the thing is going to take days to get. I ran through the THX set up, but the tv ended up being REALLY dark when I was finish. I have read up on the whole contrast, color, sharpness thing, but still wonder if everything is set up right. If anyone can help, that would be much appreciated.

The model of the tv is LG 52DC2D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, I thought I'd mention, the reason I feel that the settings are wrong, and this may sound stupid as I am running standard digital cable, but shows like Simpsons and South Park look HORRIBLE on the tv. It looks like there is a shadow beside the characters. Mind you, for a test, I downloaded an episode of both the Simpsons and South Park and transferred them to my tv and it wasn't so bad at all, so I'm thinking it's just the signal from the digital cable. But I would think that it should be better then it is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for all the posts, but I was reading up on other posts and there was some stuff I felt I should add. One being that I'm running coaxial cable from the box. Should I switch to svideo and if I do, how much of a difference will I notice and does the type of cable matter?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag82 /forum/post/0

Sorry for all the posts, but I was reading up on other posts and there was some stuff I felt I should add. One being that I'm running coaxial cable from the box. Should I switch to svideo and if I do, how much of a difference will I notice and does the type of cable matter?

Switch it and see.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag82 /forum/post/0

Use the highest quality type of connection your stb has-most likely component.

Your tv should have multiple component and/or hdmi connections.

Standard-def tends to like *** on large HD sets,so get used to that.

Avia will get your set well-tuned.Carefully listen to the steps and reasoning behind the patterns and their relation to the settings for your set as you make adjustments.

The new settings may seem dark and/or soft at first,but you will begin to see the better detail and contrast in short time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The box doesn't allow for component cables. The best I can get out of it is svideo, but just wanted to know if the type of s video cable mattered? I'm looking at a few sets, some monster cables, a few that aren't and just want to know what will be the better set to go with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.