AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Gainesville Fla. which is about 70 miles from Jacksonville, which now has one DTV station .I am also 120 miles From Tampa which has several. My Question is...What is the general range of picking up a DTV signal to get HDTV OTA?

Thanks

------------------

Mike

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
In general, 60 miles is the limit. That is unless you put up a tower to overcome the curvature of the earth. having said that, I'd try for Jacksonville. Tampa is probably out of the question.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O K new question how big a tower would I need to get to reach Tampa which is 120 miles away ? i want HDTV !

thanks

------------------

Mike

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
A question like this was asked quite a while ago (expand the number of days). The formula was supplied by some one who was a HAM operator. As I recall, when I punched in the numbers for 220 miles (transmitter at 1500-2000 feet), your receiving antenna needed to be at 5000 feet !

I think for 120 miles, you're going to find the needed height at around 2000 feet - not too likely !

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mike,

Just a suggestion but you could probably subscribe to both DISH and Direct TV for a lot less expense. There are, as always, various opinions as to which is "best" but the bottom line for those of us who want HD is that there are options to OTA.

Good luck,

Neil

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I can get San Diego stations from over 130 miles away using a good quality roof top antenna on a 10' mast.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
108 Posts
I live in Ormond Beac, 55-60 miles from orlandos towers. I have a channellmaster 4248 on a 10' pole on flat roof. I get all orlando digital stations with signal strength of 62-72. The 4248 is very directional specific for me, as there are many trees around my house. you can get the 4248 at starkelectronics.com for about 45 dollars. Go for it. upn,wb,cbs,abc,nbc,fox all are digital.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I just bought a Channelmaster 4248 for $39 from DOW Electronics - several stores in Florida.

I also got a 30 foot telescoping 3-segment mast for $27.

Am in Valrico, FL, east of Tampa.

Am going to try and get Orlando channels as well, per above link.

Need to find out those HD channel numbers and a good direction to aim from here.

Jaymer...

------------------

Jaymer...

----------------

AccessDTV (antenna on digital input, Tivo on analog)

HTPC, P3 933 (still having DVD playing probs)

NEC LT150 (awesome)

Homemade Blackout cloth screen (from Joann's Fabrics, $6 per yard)

·
Registered
599 Posts
i was able to get several orlando channels with my 4248.

although I have some tweaking to do with direction and mast height, my initial tests were positive.

not using an amplifier yet, but i might add one.

for determining distance, i'm in 33511 - not sure where the orlando towers are located.

jaymer...

------------------

Jaymer...

----------------

AccessDTV (antenna on digital input, Tivo on analog)

HTPC, P3 933 (still having DVD playing probs)

NEC LT150 (awesome)

Homemade Blackout cloth screen (from Joann's Fabrics, $6 per yard)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.