AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mitsu 55807 RPTV, which has only one HDTV 1080i input. I have two HDTV convertor boxes, RCA DTC-100, and an SR-HD5 from Mitsubishi. Is there a switchbox available that will send two HDTV signals to one input on an RPTV?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
riaford,

What is type of output on the SR-HD5? If it is a RGB (VGA) connector like the DTC-100 then you can use a VGA switcher. There are a couple of current threads in HTPC forum regarding this. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
You might try going on the cheap.
You'll be soooorrryyyyy!!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I already did the footwork for you...

Kramer VP-211 2x1 VGA auto-switcher
Extron and Altinex VGA switchers
QVS "commercial grade" A/B switch

Bottom line, don't waste your time & money with cheap "data-grade" VGA switchboxes. You will see a muddy, ghosty picture where everything has an "outline" to it (especially noticable with on-screen text, such as when looking at fonts on a Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000 desktop). The problem with the cheap switches seems to be that they don't have the bandwidth capacity required for high screen resolutions and refresh rates for HDTV and HTPC (I run my home theater computer at 1024 x 768 @ 85 MHz, for example). Also, the internal components in the cheap boxes are probably a rat's nest of low-quality, unshielded wiring.

------------------

Scott Gammans

Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans:

[B The problem with the cheap switches seems to be that they don't have the bandwidth capacity required for high screen resolutions and refresh rates for HDTV and HTPC (I run my home theater computer at 1024 x 768 @ 85 MHz, for example). Also, the internal components in the cheap boxes are probably a rat's nest of low-quality, unshielded wiring.

[/b]
Scott

Does this problem affect VGA extension cables as well? My DTC100 is hooked up to my Mits 73907 with a 6' VGA extension cable and a 6' VGA-5BNC breakout cable. Have I been degrading the signal with this setup?

[This message has been edited by RSongco (edited 03-29-2001).]

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use an Extron 4 way RGB auto-switcher. It has proven very reliable and I have compared picture quality using the switch box and going directly and see NO degredation. I have a DST3000 HD/DirectTV box and the Sony 9000ES so I made sure I bought a switcher with enough bandwidth to pass these two hi-def signals. Inline also makes a 250$ 2 way switcher (would be perfect for you) that switches automatically between two HI-DEF sources. It has been tested and reviewed and can be bought from A-Vidd Electronics. Check out Extron Stuff at:

http://www.extron.com/product/listbytype.asp?subtype=6

And Inline at:

http://www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3582.htm

Don't forget to use good cables and all these switchers use a BNC interface so unless you are using BNC cables you will have to adapt to RCA. Radioshack has gold adapters for like 2 bucks each. I needed nine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
425 Posts
RSongco,

As long as you are using the nice thick VGA extension cables you should be fine. You would see ghosting and color problems with cheap extension cables. Geffen systems specializes in this kinda stuff. Check em out. We use them here at work (Sony Pictures)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.