AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting at AVS, so please let me know if this is the wrong sub-forum.

NOTE: I tried posting links to my appropriate TV and sound bar models but got denied due to being a new member.

I have a Chromecast plugged into external power and into my television, a 40" Sceptre HDTV. I also have a HW-E450 Samsung sound bar that the Sceptre connects to its output HDMI port. I have my PS4 plugged into the sound bar's input HDMI port.

I assumed this particular TV didn't include CEC (or some kind of passthrough) support, but when I cast something to the Chromecast the sound bar automatically switches from its HDMI source to "D. In", which I'm assuming is TOSLINK. The Chromecast is plugged directly into the HDMI 3 slot on the TV, and the sound bar switch happens when I'm on Input 1 on the TV running the PS4. Does this mean my TV might be CEC compatible? If not CEC, does the TV support some kind of passthrough?

My end goal would be to have the HDTV switch to the appropriate input when cast to or when the PS4 is turned on, but this might be a pipe dream with this particular TV model. Whatever the Chromecast is doing is piquing my interest though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi not sure why this is happening but i have a chromecast and samsung soundbar plugged directly into my tv which is CEC compatible. I have the chromecast plugged into a standard port and it switches channel automatically but does not change my soundbar.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
HDMI-CEC has caused equipment to switch default inputs for years. In 2009, I had a cablebox connected via HDMI to a Denon receiver connected the Samsung TV's HDMI1. When I added a Samsung blu ray player to the Denon, I found that turning off the blu ray caused the TV to default from HDMI1 to the internal "TV" input, even if I switched the Denon to the cablebox first. Turning off HDMI-CEC in the TV and blu ray resolved the problem.

A friend had a cablebox and blu ray connected to a Yamaha receiver to the TV all via HDMI. Turning off the equipment caused the Yamaha to default to the AV input when equipment was next powered up.

Another friend had a blu ray based HT system with two HDMI inputs, into which he plugged his cablebox. After shutting down from watching cable TV, the blu ray defaulted to D.in when everything was powered back up.

The third example was resolved by programming a Harmony remote to get around the problem. I can't remember what I did since it was 2010, but it can be done.

I wrote a letter to Sound and Vision a few years ago, wondering if it was me, but the editor was also aware of these types of problems, across all brands. It's still the case that the problem is posted in this forum, but there is little discussion and no solutions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts