Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Anyone picking up HDTV OTA signals south of Seattle? I am in Sumner (Lake Tapps) and would love to be able to get it at my new house when I move in.

If so, which antenna are you using.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I am in Fairwood (east of Renton). Not very far south, but I get all Seattle and Gold Mountain (KCPQ) stations, but not the Bellevue transmitters (PAX and ShopNBC I think). I am using a Radio Shack $20 UHF only yagi antenna. The reason I don't get the Bellevue stuff is the directionality of the antenna. I had to carefully aim it to get Capitol Hill, Queen Anne Hill and Gold Mountain without a rotator.

Have you looked at http://www.antennaweb.org yet?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I lived on East Hill in Kent until 6 months ago and I was getting all the stations (although KING was flaky) using a Radio Shack UHF only antenna in the rafters over my garage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm further south than you, and a little west (Graham/Spanaway area).

I can get reception fairly well on PBS, CBS, and NBC. It's not perfect, but shows are usually watchable.

ABC was never as good as those three, but was often watchable. Lately it has been poor though...maybe 40% of the time I get a picture at all, half the time unwatchable.

FOX used to come in maybe 70% of the time.

UPN used to come in maybe 45% of the time.

WB used to come in maybe 15% of the time.

I haven't gotten a flicker out of any of those channels in at least two weeks.

I have a giant Radio Shack rooftop antenna. I don't know what model, it was priced at $100, on "sale" for $50. Cost $100 to have someone install it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lurch,

Thanks. For the feedback.

I just purchased a Terk TV50 antenna at Sears (open box sale $69). I have heard mixed reports on the Terk indoor/outdoor antennas..but will give it a try on Monday when I hook up my Sony HD100 and see if I can pull in some HDTV stations here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to live in a condo and couldn't use a typical outdoor antenna so I purchased a Terk TV-55 which was suppossed to be one of the best. It worked but I had to go out to my deck and move it all the time to get most Seattle HD channels. I moved up to the Sammamish Plateau and set the TV 55 up on my roof and couldn't get anything except for 22 which is broadcasted from Tiger Mtn. I did some serious research and found a winner! I recommend this to everyone who has had problems with multi-path and so on. The Wingard HD-7210P is incredible!!! I figured as long as I was up on the roof (3 stories) I would include a rotator which was a good idea. After I got done I am now picking up every HD channel. None of my neighbors can beleive it!! The best price I could find was out of CA from Spectravox.com whom I have purchased other items from before. Radio Shack and RCA antennas don't help out with multi-path very well and have poor front to back ratios. This antenna is perfect if your live with 35 air miles from downtown. I also pickup 13 very well. If interested here is a link to purchase: http://store.yahoo.com/spectravox/hd7210p.html

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
FYI, channel 22 (KTWB, digital ch. 25) broadcasts from Capitol Hill in Seattle, not from Tiger Mountain.

Here is a list of live transmitters and their orientation from my home east of Renton.

KCPQ-DT 18 FOX - 263° (Gold Mountain)

KTWB-DT 25 WB - 310° (Capitol Hill)

KCTS-DT 41 PBS - 310°

KONG-DT 31 IND - 306° (Queen Anne Hill)

KOMO-DT 38 ABC - 306°

KIRO-DT 39 CBS - 306°

KING-DT 48 NBC - 306°

KWPX-DT 32 PAX - 52° (Tiger Mountain)

KWOG-DT 50 IND - 52°

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I live in Auburn's Lakeland Hills and can get all the local HD signals, although I have to move my cheap little antenna around; 5, 7, 4 are close together, but I have to hunt for 11 and 9's signal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm in NE Tacoma, off of Brown's Point. I get KCPQ (Fox), KSTW (UPN), KTWB (WB), KCTS (PBS), KONG (IND), KOMO (ABC), KIRO (CBS), and KING (NBC) all via the $18 RadioShack double bowtie in my attic.

It may matter to others, but I couldn't care less about KWPX and KWOG.

Good luck with your setup!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well I am watching McQ on KWPX (PAX) in digital SD right now.

Then I just might be doing some shopping on KWOG shop NBC. Grandfather clocks and such bargains...

Still its another digital signal and it's mine all mine Ah HA HA HA HA HA!

With my rotor just as it is now I get em all without moving it. Even with my Trusty old Tu-DST 50. My Mits SR-HD5 has a 100 on everything but the two Tiger mountain stations which are at 93 on the signal strength. I have read bad things about the SR-HD5 but other than ECMs occasionally messing with the local channel guide it worked perfectly for 18 months.

I am on my third and final antenna combo. (Thanks Drewba!)

Channel master 4248 antenna and a Model 7775 Preamplifier which

is a UHF only model

Digital Conversion is finally happening and I love it.

Happy Holiday's everybody.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wish I were as lucky as you with the reception, but I guess I'm too far away or have too many trees.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all.

I am going to give the Terk TV55 a whirl this week when my STB arrives. The only channels I am interested in are Komo, King and Kiro, which all appear to be on the same direction. So hopefully I can pick them all up with out any adjustment (movement). If that doesnt work, I will take the TV55 back and try some of the other antennas suggested here. I just liked the TV55 cause of its clean look.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't respond to the original post before but I live in South Hill WA south of Highway 512 off Canyon Road. I bought a Terk "power bar" but don't remember what model number it was as it is buried in the back of my garage back in its box. I get better reception from the medium size Radio Shack UHF antenna I put up in the attic (from hardly a signal with the Terk to strong signal reception with the UHF antenna). I'm about 12 miles southwest of Sumner but I sit up a little higher than the town of Sumner (hence "South Hill" vice Sumner which is down in the valley).

I have a RCA DTC-100 and receive all the channels except for KSTW (36-1) which I have never received a bite. For the most part KONG comes in with signal strengths in the 20's and freqent drop-outs but they seem to be in the high 30's today.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
smsgtkvv,

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know which RS antenna you have? I am hearing mixed reviews on the Terk product and am looking to put a RS antenna in the atic also to get the best reception. As far as Sumner goes, I am actually up on the Hill also, on Lake Tapps. I hope this helps with the reception.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got the 40 inch boom UHF only (15-2160). Since the roof pitch faces toward the northwest, the boom could have been bigger but I couldn't get it through the attic access door in the ceiling of a small closet. I tied the ends of the antenna to the roof trusses and looking down at a TV through the access hatch directly below me, I was able to aim it for the best reception. Lucky for me, all of the Seattle/Tacoma broadcast antennae are in the same general direction.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
smsgtkvv,

Thanks again. Just returned my Terk antenna and purchased the RS unit you mentioned. I get a lot stronger DT signal with it. In the 80s on my HD100 (and thats with it laying on the floor (test mode). This $20 unit is 10x the antenna that terk is.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would agree since that RS antenna is what is on top of my house.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.