AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what is the most appropriate forum this question, so I am placing into more than one - sorry for the duplication.

I'm am upgrading my home theater system and will be replacing my older DirecTV (Sony Sat-B1) with the new Sony Sat-HD100. I am also going to add a digital recorder. After reading many of the posts in these forums I have concluded that the most efficient way to add the digital recorder is with a Tivo or Ultimate TV combined with DirecTV. Obviously I will have to replace the original DirecTV dish with one designed for the Sony Sat-HD100 HDTV. However, because of the difficulty in running new cables I plan on using the existing RF cable connection with the dish and the equipment. I have two questions:

1. I am interested in comments regarding my choice between the Tivo/DirecTV and Ultimate/DirecTV boxes. Picture quality, features and usability are my most important factors.

2 If I select Ultimate TV, I have read that it requires two cables connected to the dish (I believe the second cable enables the two-tuner feature). Will I still be able to use all the other Ultimate TV features if I have kust one connection to the dish.

Thanks,

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jegold (edited 03-30-2001).]

·
Registered
632 Posts
The DirecTiVo and the UltimateTV has two satellite tuners built it. To use both you need two satellite feeds to the boxes. Both can be used with just one feed.

The DirecTiVo does not have the second tuner activated yet (this summer they say) but has a hardier and more sophisitcated and complicated scheduling system. The option exists for a lifetime payment or a monthly fee.

The UTV has both tuners working now and is a little simpler in use and operation. You must pay per month. WebTV is built in.

There forums dedicated to both here at AVSforums and a couple of (usually biased) comparisons.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Jeff,

Just in case you were not aware. You will need 4 coax cables from your new oval dish to a 4x4 multi-switch (usually included with the dish). This switch can be mounted inside or outside. This allows you to have up to 4 receivers (or tuners). The coax cable will run from the switch to each receiver (tuner) one cable for each one. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
936 Posts

Jeff,

Unless you want to run you DircTV / UTV system in parallel with an HD system, you should be able to keep your old dish, and just replace the receiver (I'd confirm if I were you.. this is more of a DBS /Tivo question). If you were going to add HD capability you would need an Oval dish or another dish just like you have. Running from the sat dish you will have two cables that run to a signal combiner. From that combiner, you will have a single cable going to your receivers. At your receivers you will probably need to split the signal three ways. 1 signal for the HD receiver, and 1 for each tuner. I would suspect that the DirecTV Tivo would have a single input that is routed to the tuners internally, but regardless, it shouldn't be difficult. Given that you are splitting the signals, you need to be careful about maintaining good signal strength.

Something to keep in mind when choosing between UTV and DTV/TIVO. DirecTV and Blockbuster are in an agreement to market near VOD for SD movies. They aren't being forthcoming about when this will be implemented, but speculation is that it will be rolled into the Tivo release for the second tuner. The near VOD stuff is not a rumor. Vapor it maybe, but there are several press releases out on the subject.

Good luck,

Mike

BTW, if I have misanalyzed how the sats hook up, please let me know, I am considering doing the same thing you are, but coming from a single HD installation.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
As I am sure you are aware, neither solution allows recording of HD. You will have to figure a switching scheme between your HD100 and the other unit. Hopefully HD PVR for sat channels (as opposed to OTA available today on HTPCs) nirvana will come soon.

Tim

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeKO:
Running from the sat dish you will have two cables that run to a signal combiner. From that combiner, you will have a single cable going to your receivers.
I am certainly no expert, but my oval dish (RCA) has (2) dual LNBs. Each dual LNB requires 2 cables for a total of 4. These cables connect to a 4x4 multi-switch that came with the dish. There may very well be other ways to cable an oval dish, but they way I've described above definitely works.

Jay

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jeff,

For the pros and cons of the UTV vs. D-Tivo, I suggest you start with this thread in the UTV forum here:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum27/HTML/000048.html

It will give you some perspective on the differences between the two units. I own both and much prefer the UTV, and not just becuase both tuners work right now, but for many reasons. Just check out the thread, there are good points made there for both and should help you decide.

Another Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.