AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost done with my HTPC, all that is left is my Harmony remote.

I recorded smallville tonight and the file is 7 GB, what is the best way to get this file on DVD with minimum quality loss?


Specs:

AMD 4400 X2

2 GB RAM

Abit KN8 Ultra

(2) 74 GB 10k RPM SATA

ATI HDTV wonder

PNY 6600GT

Antec P150 case

Aopen DVD/DL

USR Wireless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
That is the question everyone would like answered. Use the search engine as this has been asked over and over. There are various encoding formats all have pluses and minuses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I have tried various software over the last few months, and I recently found a combination that works very well for me:


VideoRedo to strip commercials.

NeroVision Express to encode and burn to DVD.


I'm able to fit roughly 100 minutes of video onto a single layer DVD, and the quality is amazing. Of course, you could fit more than 100 minutes, but you'll lose some quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancepr
I recorded smallville tonight and the file is 7 GB, what is the best way to get this file on DVD with minimum quality loss?
Use MCE 2005, click Create DVD, wait about an hour...done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VideoJames,


I tried that but MCE kept trying to make a DATA DVD, where should I click to get a video?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,187 Posts
Use VideoReDo Plus to edit, then HDTV2DVD to convert to a crystal-clear VTS. H2D requires the .NET framework...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I've tried two methods..


HDTV2DVD.. fast


Reencode with TMPGEnc.. slow


I use TMPGEnc Author to strip out the commercials - nice thing about their product is it WILL burn AC3, even DD 5.1 AC3 to the disc.


BUT.. both methods have quality issues - namely aliasing/jaggies/stair stepping/barber polling/shimmering anytime the camera pans across a diagonal line or high contrast stationary symbol. It's quite frustrating - anyone know the DEFINITIVE way to get a really high quality 720x480 16:9 DVD from a 1280x720 MPEG2 source?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,818 Posts
This is also the method I use. Except, I use "Nero Vision" which comes with Nero Ultra suite since it appears Nero Vison Express is older and being phased out.


Nero Vision is the easiest and most robust solution to convert HD->DVD IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolom
I have tried various software over the last few months, and I recently found a combination that works very well for me:


VideoRedo to strip commercials.

NeroVision Express to encode and burn to DVD.


I'm able to fit roughly 100 minutes of video onto a single layer DVD, and the quality is amazing. Of course, you could fit more than 100 minutes, but you'll lose some quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHDTV4096p
BUT.. both methods have quality issues - namely aliasing/jaggies/stair stepping/barber polling/shimmering anytime the camera pans across a diagonal line or high contrast stationary symbol...
Are you sure this is not a playback (codec) issue?

Do you see any artifacts while playing 720p material?


Diogen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
mkanet: I used to do the same with the NeroVision Express demo, but now that I purchased Nero Vision (in Nero 7 Ultra), it will not accept ts files like the old version could (we would drag and drop them in). The program even lists *.ts as a supported extension in the selection menu, but then when you try to include them, it says "Unable to insert". Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
When I replay the 720p source on my Pioneer 53" CRT/RP HDTV the image is crisp with little or no artifacting. I've cut out a couple of really offending segements that will fit on a CD - roughtly 600MB. I'd be happy to send this to anyone who'd like explore this phenomenon.


Just tried NeroVision 3.1.0.0 with the highest quality settings for DVD.. this is easily the WORST quality of the methods I've tested - more digital artifacts then either HDTV2DVD or TMPGEnc. Plus NeroVision converted my nice 5.1 audio to 2Ch Stereo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmortal03
mkanet: I used to do the same with the NeroVision Express demo, but now that I purchased Nero Vision (in Nero 7 Ultra), it will not accept ts files like the old version could (we would drag and drop them in). The program even lists *.ts as a supported extension in the selection menu, but then when you try to include them, it says "Unable to insert". Any ideas?
Did you make sure there was only one sub-channel in the .ts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmortal03

mkanet: I used to do the same with the NeroVision Express demo, but now that I purchased Nero Vision (in Nero 7 Ultra), it will not accept ts files like the old version could (we would drag and drop them in). The program even lists *.ts as a supported extension in the selection menu, but then when you try to include them, it says "Unable to insert". Any ideas?
Did you make sure there was only one sub-channel in the .ts?
Yep. 0x11 is Video, 0x14 is Audio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancepr
the file is 7 GB, what is the best way to get this file on DVD with minimum quality loss?
The obvious answer is if there are sub channels that you don't want, then strip them out, strip out the commecials with HDTV2MPEG (don't convert to MPEG) and burn the TS/TP to DVD. They will not play on standard DVD players, but that might not be important to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Not sure why I would ever burn a .ts to a DVD.. The stuff I'd like to share is way too big - for instance, the Rose Bowl Game is 20GB so that ain't gonna fit even a -DL disc. The objective here was to create a set top playable DVD of the highest quality starting from an OTA captured HDTV transport stream. What I get from all three methods is playable, but there are digital artifacts in the 720p --> 480i conversion process. NeroVision does have some good features, but 3.1.0.0 at least does not have an option to preserve DD 5.1 surround sound - you can convert it to LPCM ro 2ch AC3, those are the only two options in the pull down menu. So, I'll demux and remux the 5.1 audio back in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmortal03
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmortal03

mkanet: I used to do the same with the NeroVision Express demo, but now that I purchased Nero Vision (in Nero 7 Ultra), it will not accept ts files like the old version could (we would drag and drop them in). The program even lists *.ts as a supported extension in the selection menu, but then when you try to include them, it says "Unable to insert". Any ideas?
Did you make sure there was only one sub-channel in the .ts?
Yep. 0x11 is Video, 0x14 is Audio.
So, based off of that, any idea why Nero Vision won't take transport streams anymore?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Wouldn't Nero Recode in the Ultra Nero suites give you a decent playback at 5-10 to 1 compression into an mpeg-4 or h.264 file? This is how I store all my ripped DVDs as 1-2 GB files, "Nero Digital". Plays back w/ the Nero player just fine. Have not tried any HD files but it should work, no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,496 Posts
Welll, the question was


"what is the best way to get this file on DVD with minimum quality loss?"


If you want the best with the minimum loss, than you certainly don't convert from HD to SD DVD, do you. He never said anything about sharing either. If all he is doing is archiving, then keeping it as TS is the best way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancepr
VideoJames,


I tried that but MCE kept trying to make a DATA DVD, where should I click to get a video?
You need to install the sonicencoders.msi file that is missing from the MCE install. Do a search on this file here or at thegreenbutton.com and you'll find out how and why.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top