AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to convert an HDTV TP file to an AVI unsuccessfully for three days now. I have read all the rhetoric in the forums, and still cannot figure it out. If I use HDTV2MPEG v 1.10, I get a file that is unreadable by windows media player and unreadable by powerdvd. If I regress to 1.09, I get a file that has ONLY sound when played. I convert this "sound only" mpeg to AVI and I wind up with a file with only video!!! What is going on here? Can anyone offer any advice? I'd appreciate it!

Mark

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I have not used that specific product but the last time that I converted to .mpg from avi there was specific codecs that needed to be installed or I would only hear the sound and see no picture, I would suggest to verify that they are installed correctly.

Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
have you checked www.vcdhelp.com ??

They have guides and software links for alot of stuff, not sure if they have this info specifically though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That VCD help site is kinda neat, but it still doesn't help with the conversion from Transport Stream to MPEG. This is the part that does not seem to be working. Any other ideas out there?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"I have been trying to convert an HDTV TP file to an AVI unsuccessfully for three days now"

Are you trying to convert the ts to mpeg2 or AVI? If you want AVI, the MPEG2 conversion is unnecessary.

Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ultimately I want it to be in AVI format, divx compressed, so it is small. How can I go directly from transport stream to this? I have been messing around with this all night, and I was able to split out the 2.0 sound track to a wav file, and try to recombine it using a number of utilities. The video is going much slower than the audio though which causes problems. If I could go straight to AVI, that would be wonderful.. What is that utility called, and where can I get it?

The issue is (if you're curious), some friends and I were on the local news the other day, I recorded it as a .tp file and can watch it here, but they all want it on their own computers, so it would be cool if I could email them all a relatively small AVI.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm having similar problems converting *.ts streams to MPEG2 (not looking to convert to AVI). I have tried trbarry's DVD2AVI2, but it causes the computer to lock up or produces a corrupt video file (*.d2v). I don't have the MPEGdec2 installed - can you tell me where I can download it from?

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
The versions with ATSC support:
www.trbarry.com/MPEG2DEC2.zip
www.trbarry.com/DVD2AVIT3.zip

But if you can't make it successfully through the file in DVD2AVI then this won't help you. Be sure to edit the DVD2AVI.ini file and make sure the correct PID numbers are entered. You must be able to properly preview the file in DVD2AVI before trying to create a d2v file.

- Tom

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tom,

Is it possible to get a 1920x1080 mpeg file and reencode it at a lower bitrate? If so, with what software?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
TMPEGEnc can do it and so can DVDx

·
Registered
875 Posts
I use HDTVtoMPEG2, and then use DVD2AVI to convert to avi. From there, I load into my fav prog to convert to whatever I feel like. I believe you can do divx in tmpgenc now, which means you should be able to load the mpeg2 into tmpgenc and output divx and bypass the dvd2avi alltogether.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I always use DVD2AVI, MPEG2DEC2, Avisynth, Virtualdub, and Xvid to reencode to MPEG4.

I like using the Avisynth filters like Decomb to do inverse telecine. DVD2AVI often can't do that because so many HDTV movies are not properly flagged (flagged at all). They must waste a bunch their bandwidth by not doing that.

- Tom

·
Registered
875 Posts
camoura,

You know, I've never tried. I usually will resize it to like 480x540 or something. That alone makes a huge difference in file size. An hour of divx at a decent bitrate at 1920x1080 will be several gig. Might as well keep the transport stream in that case. Just use HDTV2MPEG2 and cut the commercials out. Hour long show cuts down to about 4.8gig for me

Dizzy

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dizzy,

Thing is that I would like to reencode those HDTV samples at a lower bitrate using mpeg2. I would like to keep the highest resolution possible that my computer (p4 2ghz) is able to play.

Tom,

What was the resolution of the "It's all here" mpeg clip you encoded some time ago? The one with the "JAG" people. It played fine here. Could you give step by step instructions of how you did it? Like: get the .ts file, create a .d2v file, and so on...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
DishNetwork HDTV movies are flagged properly. No problems with IVTC using DVD2AVI, TMPGenc, or the WM9 encoder.

TMPGenc will encode 1920X1080

To install MPEGDEC2, just copy/paste into Windows/System32

For reduced bitrate video, WM9 is the absolute king of the hill. 1920X1080p at 6-8 Mb/sec VBR, 1920X816p (2.35:1) at 4.5-6Mb/sec, and 1280X720p24 at 3-5 Mb/sec look great. And it's now easier and faster than re-encoding with TMPGenc. Hardware acceleration via Directx9 is promised soon.

Joe

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'd like to create some short (2-3 minute) demos from shows I've recorded with my Hipix. I want to keep the PQ as high as possible, filesize is a secondary concern. With this in mind, do I want to create MPG or AVI files? And what program is the best use for this purpose? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.