Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I can't get VirtualDubMod to work with the YV12 output of the AviSynth script coming from the MPEG2 decoder. Any script that I try from the various that are posted here I always get the same error below and the compression is disabled. Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,

Leszek

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
which version of virtualdubmod, MPEGdecoder for avisynth, version of avisynth and what script are you using?

I have this working with Virtualdbmod 1.5.10 build 2366

Avisynth 2.5 with the MPEG2dec3 modified by trbarry

for inverse telecine I use decomb.dll from the avisynth distribution with the parameters that I grabbed from the scripts published int he HD->WMV9 endcoding guide

telecide()

decimate(cycle=5)

works great for adjusting HDTV film based streams to 23.976 progressive

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
avisynth: 2.5 (latest one available)

virtualdubmod: 1.5.10.1 (build 2366 release - latest one available)

MPEG2dec from Tom Barry (trbarry)

pretty much the same setup as yours. If I insert a colorspace conversion at the end of the script from YV12 to either YUY2 or RGB then it works however:

conversion to YUY2 is extremely slow

conversion to RGB gives me color artifacts - vertical banding 1 pixel width

I would much rather stay in YV12 space and compress to WM9 there. Everybody else seems to be doing it...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've installed DivX and now virtualdubmod does open the script. However it now uses DivX to go from YV12 to YUY2 (which is way faster btw than the conversion build into avisynth) before feeding it to the WM9 encoder. Is there any way to feed the encoder YV12? I rather not loose quality due to color space conversion.

Thanks,

Leszek

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Leszek -

It's a known problem that you have to have a YV12 codec installed from Divx or Xvid for Virtualdubmod to be able to display YV12 in its preview mode.

But for WM9 I'm not sure it can accept YV12 input yet anyway. Someone asked that question awhile ago but I forget what the answer was.

In any case, I still turn on Fast Recompress mode in vdubmod with WM9, just in case, but it may still be doing some internal conversion first.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I have a different issue. On some film source material I get huge blocking every couple of seconds. The blocking lasts for a few frames. See the attached picture. I tried to play with various settings of the MPEG2Dec3 but to no avail. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more piece of information - if I use hardware assisted decoding (using sonic decoder with DVXA hardware acceleration enabled and VMR disabled and a Radeon 9000 card) I get no such blocking issues. Here's the script I use for the hardware assisted decoding:
Quote:
Loadplugin("C:\\Program Files\\AVIsynth 2.5\\plugins\\simpleresize.dll")

DirectShowSource("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Leszek\\My Documents\\My Videos\\movie.mpg",fps=23.976)

crop(0,140,-0,-144)

simpleresize(1920,796)

f = (framecount * 4)/5

trim(0,f)
And here's my original script using the MPEG2Dec3:
Quote:
Loadplugin("C:\\Program Files\\AviSynth 2.5\\plugins\\MPEG2Dec3.dll")

Loadplugin("C:\\Program Files\\AviSynth 2.5\\plugins\\decomb.dll")

Loadplugin("C:\\Program Files\\AVIsynth 2.5\\plugins\\simpleresize.dll")

mpeg2source("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Leszek\\My Documents\\My Videos\\movie.d2v")

Telecide(order=1,guide=1,post=2)

Decimate()

crop(0,140,-0,-152)

simpleresize(1920,796)
For those of you wandering about the different crop values they're due to 1080 vs 1088 lines output. Trimmin the frame count in the directshow stream is necessary due to the fact that the sonic decoder returns the frame count before decimation, but outputs frames after decimation.

I would like to use MPEG2Dec3 as the directshow method requires perfect flags in the stream. (Otherwise if the decoder switches to video mode I get audio sync probles.) Any ideas?

Thanks,

Leszek

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Those look like breakups in the stream. Do they occur thoughout, or only (mostly) at the beginning?

Also, can you see them the same places in DVD2AVI preview?

- Tom

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
BTW, it seems there are few stations where the flags are reliable. What happens if you use

DirectShowSource("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Leszek\\My Documents\\My Videos\\movie.mpg",fps=29.97)

followed by Decimate, etc?

- Tom

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom,

Quote:
DirectShowSource("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Leszek\\My Documents\\My Videos\\movie.mpg",fps=29.97)
makes the video play too fast. The decoder decimates internally, so all I get is ~24fps material played at ~30fps. If I follow this with Decimate I will get a video that plays too fast with missing frames. I haven't figured out how to make the sonic decoder stop from decimating.

The breakups are throughout the stream. I tried the Elecard decoder and the stream plays perfectly as well. I'll try preview in DVD2AVI later on tonight.

Thanks,

Leszek

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Interesting.

If I am not mistaken you are not actually resizing anything but just want to crop so you can safely get rid of the simpleresize. Here is the script that I used on a stream which had a couple of lost frames and other weirdnesses with very good results.

Loadplugin("C:\\Program Files\\Avisynth\\PlugIns\\2_5_x\\mpeg2dec3.dll")

Loadplugin("C:\\Program Files\\Avisynth\\PlugIns\\2_5_x\\decomb.dll")

mpeg2source("C:\\Temp\\DVDmisc\\DVDs\ est.d2v")

telecide()

decimate(cycle=5)

crop(0,138,0,-142)

This took care of the 29.96 to 23.976 framerate conversion and smoothed out all problems. I assume the decomb processing actually inserts frames if the stream has problems. If I open an HDTV stream in virtualdubmod this way it sees it at 23.976 fps.

All my other attempts on processing this stream with directshow filters in avisynth did not give me a quality result. However, this conversion with a decent quality setting on the WMV9 encoder is very slow. 3 days for a 2:58 stream on a 1.6Ghz Pentium-M.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
Also, can you see them the same places in DVD2AVI preview?

- Tom
Tom,

The breakups do not happen in DVD2AVI preview. The preview is flawless!

Thanks,

Leszek

·
Registered
9,884 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tom, same issue - preview in dvd2avi is perfect. Even the simplest script:
Quote:
Loadplugin("C:\\Program Files\\AviSynth 2.5\\plugins\\MPEG2Dec3.dll")

mpeg2source("f:\\movie.d2v")
however gives me those blocking artifacts. Prior to using your versions of dvd2avi and mpeg2dec3 I was using the later versions of both from Nic's web site. But same exact issue happens with either yours or his. I ruled out virtualdubmod since this issue happens no matter where I open the script above. I also tried various versions of AviSynth 2.5 as well. All of them give me the issue above.

Thanks,

Leszek

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.