AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toshiba TN55X81 and the Toshiba STB. I receive my HDTV signal OTA. Why is it that they images are always too dark? What can be done?

Thanks

Joe

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Not familiar with your set, but the HDTV sections of most sets have separate picture adjustments (contrast, brightness, etc). Check your owner's manual on how to adjust these controls for the best pictures. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
464 Posts
Do any of you Tosh tweakers have an idea about why the grid on the right side of my TN55x81 is wavy? The service rep tried to align it for an hour but gave up. The left side and Center of the screen are perfectly straight in both horizontal and vertical.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated, I don't want to be without my "Mistress" for 14 or more days if they cart it off!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sent a message to Toshiba, that I have all this Toshiba equipment, which I spent thousands of dollars on. I shouldn't have to readjust my picture for HDTV vs Non HDTV and back and forth each time I select a different input!

I only have one set of picture controls, that's user accessible.

[This message has been edited by jfrano (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
695 Posts
The right side of my TW56x81 is out-of-whack as well. I wouldn't call it wavy, but at the very edges, the lines bend significantly more than I would like them to, and converging them is nearly impossible. Someone told me it has to do with overscan. I think that's only part of the problem. If the raster isn't centered correctly, it could cause this, too.

My advice would be to first make sure the raster is centered (HPOS) using internal center-cross pattern. If you're flirting with close to 0% overscan on the right side, you may want to increase it closer to 3. Michael TLV described this once as a trade-off. (reduced overscan increases non-convergence at the edges of the screen)

Fortunately, my "wavies" are the worse on my 1080i grid, and I really don't even notice the misconvergence with real program material. I mean, how often do you really concentrate on what's happening right at the edge of the screen?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote:
I shouldn't have to readjust my picture for HDTV vs Non HDTV and back and forth each time I select a different input!
Don't you have different picture modes in your user menu? Like normal and theater? I thought most Toshiba HDTV's did. You could tweak one for normal television, and one for HDTV.

A lot of people like the Toshiba's BECAUSE they can adjust the picture between difference sources. I believe the most televisions do this, which is why ISF calibrators charge extra to optimize the different inputs.

I suppose to some it's a plus, to others it's a minus. For these types of mid-range consumer electronics, they simply have to be tweaked to work their best. Period. Every single one of them, whether it's a Toshiba, a Mitsubishi, a Panasonic, or whatever. The input sources vary too much in terms of content and quality. These sets come from the factory in a kind of "middle of the road" configuration. If you want to tune it up to look it's best in all modes, you either need to do it yourself, or pay someone to do it.

But don't expect Toshiba to tell you anything except, "It looks fine the way it is, you shouldn't have to adjust anything." And then they'll send out a technician, who'll look at it and say, "wow, that's a pretty nice picture, they don't get much better than that." And that's it as far as Toshiba is concerned. Been there, done that.

[This message has been edited by Randy Boecker (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give that a try, didn't realize that by changing that setting it would have its own set of picture adjustments(contrast/bright etc).

Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the same set. What are your settings in terms of contrast etc? Mine are contrast=34, Brightness=38, Color=52, Tint+1, sharp=50, flesh=off. Mine is going into the shop because when the tech came out to converge, the grid on the right side of the service menu is really wavy. The tech couldn't get it to align and said it needed to go in.

·
Registered
33,442 Posts
I think the problem may be more with the Toshiba STB. When I was looking for a new HD STB, I tried the Toshiba and found it much too dark compared with others. I think your only fix is to compensate at the TV adjustment end.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a Toshiba TW56x81 and the Dish 6000 reciever. I also felt that HDTV was too dark.

Fortunately for me, I can adjust the brightness and contrast offsets for just 1080i in the designer menu.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.