AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a good method for converting *.ts files to mpeg2 - I'm trying to ultimately record to a DVD)? I've tried a number of different ways with little success. I can use TMPGEnc with the Elecard filters, but it takes well over 24 hrs. to do the coding. Remuxing the transport stream file with XMuxer produces good video, but no usable audio. I've read through www.vcdhelp.com, but have yet to come up with a good method. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
What exactly is your source material, and what resolution DVD are you trying to make? For 1080i to 480i (or 480p) DVD with high quality encoder settings, converting a 2 hr. movie using an average pc will take >24 hrs. For 1080i HDTV to 1080i HD-DVD, ~4 days. AFAIK, for conversion of .ts to DVD compliant .vob, there is as yet no way around re-encoding the entire video stream. TMPGenc is as good as any for that.

Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My source material is a 1 hour 1920x1080 ATSC broadcast that I'm trying to convert ultimately to a 480p format. I'm running a P4 2.5 GHz, 500M ram. Looks like I will have to learn some patience!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If you're willing to take a small quality hit, you can speed it up by turning off floating point DCT +/or setting motion search quality to lowest +/or DC precision to 8 bits. A 1 hr .ts would take about 5 hrs at these lower settings and most people won't notice the difference.

Joe

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm using hdtvtompeg2 version 1.09beta from one of the forum members (GrantR), see the following thread-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=hdtv2mpeg

There is another version out 1.10 (do a search for hdtv2mpeg) but it is supposed to have some issues with the conversion (although I haven't tried it since 1.09 works so well).

The procedure to generate a DVD from HDTV that I use goes like this:

Edit the TS file to remove commercials using hdtvtompeg2 (mark in/out)

Tell hdtvtompeg2 to generate a single TS file

Reload the just created TS file into hdtv2mpeg2

Generate a MPG file (this file plays in Media Player) so you can check it

I use Ulead's DVD Movie Factory ( http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm ) since it is simple/cheap/easy for the following steps

Load the MPG file into the DMF editor

Tell it to make a movie (HiQ DVD) (this chugs along for about 5 hours on my 2.4 w/raid)

Next select the entry points (if you want to jump to various places in the show)

Build the Menu and burn the DVD. This has worked fine for me so far (all I have done are CSI's). The DMF will also make video cd's etc... and is priced right. The quality is fine, but not HD, since the only thing I can compare it to is what my Replay captures. YMMV

·
Registered
231 Posts
mpenton:

I just tried this with several files, and DMF reports that the .mpg file is 1 second long, regardless of how long it really is. It correctly reports that it's 1920x1080x29.97fps, 24bits video, AC-3 audio. I can even preview it for 1 second. Any ideas?

·
Registered
533 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is that this may be dependant upon the station stream. I just loaded up another CSI tonight after the conversion and it shows about 46 minutes. The mpg file will also play with WinDVD 4. Otherwise I don't have a clue. I'll try some other shows from a different station as soon as I have another station with something worth recording.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.