AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in contact with someone at MS who is making sure the release of WM9 encoder works smoothly with transport streams.

To get this work (you really need RC1 but Rc0 will work:

1. You need a Transport stream (TS or TP) from MyHD etc

2. I recommend GrantR's incredible HDTV2MPG set to transport stream mode. You can EASILIY edit out commercials, chop etc.

4. Install WinDVD4 Plus registered fro 6 speaker support for 5.1 audio

5. Go to your control panel (sound and audio devices in teh control panel of WinXP) and select advanced fro speakers. be SURE the 5.1 speakers are set for proper encoding

6. Download the Elecard 2.0b MPEG2 filters. Edit the file:

register.bat

regsvr32 /s pim2null.ax

regsvr32 /s mpgdec.ax

regsvr32 /s mpeg2dmx.ax

regsvr32 /s pva_dmx.ax

To look like this. This will NOT install the AC3 filter (breaks the encoder) or the stupid/worthless DivX filter (crashes most Divx files)

Now you will have the Elecard Demuxer (pig - PLEASE MS give us a good one), Elecard MPEG2 filter, and WinDVD4 Audio set to 6 channel OUTPUT!

7. YOu are set

8. Open WME9 RC0

9. RENAME your TEST.TS file to TEST.VOB

10. Choose your options

11. Encode

12. Enjoy the incredible output :)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing,

Be sure to do the filtergraph if you have problems:

Elecard Demux -> Elecard MPEG2

-> WinDVD AC3

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Yesindeedy.

For Sonic users - I had to also disable cinemastervideo.dll to get this to work.

Steve,

I am not getting the Elecard watermark now.:) Are you?

Joe

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Forgot to mention - I also had to remove PowerDVD to make this work.

Steve,

Are you able to do 2 pass encoding with this? I still need DVD2AVI etc. for 2-pass.

Joe

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the encoder seems to encode 2 pass on small clips but crashes on 2 pass bigger ones.

I was trying the VBR-Quality mode.

MS knows about this - are you using RC0?? I am promissed this will work in future releases.

I really really like the 1 step solution.

But i cannot get IVTC to work on my ABC material (720p). It rejects this as "not 30FPS". No **** - it is 29.97 :)

I am stunned at the qualirty of 1280x720p with 5.1 at 192 44khz 5000kbit

That being said I still can't get TEST.AC3 to inout correctly :)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got 2 pass to work:

Click Advanced

Click Store Temp to Hard Disk Temporarily (at the bottom)

Now it seems t not crash :)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did your watermark just disappear???????????

There are new Elecard Filters - Build from Oct 25th

What video bitrate (and audio) have you found to be good for you 720p output. I am thinking 5000 looks quite good - touch to distinguish from the original.

I really think DivX/Quicktime etc needs to go back t the drawing board. Even if you hate MS it is tough not to be impressed

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I think everyone needs to go back to the drawing board.:) WM9 absolutely kicks ass for HDTV.

I'm figured out mine is using WinDVD video decoder 4.0.65.0, so no watermark. The "save content to HD temporarily" doesn't work for me. Nothing is saved using WinDVD or Elecard decoders. So I'm stuck with quality VBR for now. Interestingly, with your new method here, the transport streams are coming into the encoder at 23.97 fps progressive. So I have the WM9 deinterlacing and IVTC turned off. The .trp extension works fine without renaming to .vob.

I have encoder #19504. Is that RC0?

I'm using 4-8 Mb/sec average for 1920 X 816 and 1440 X 1080, and 6-10 Mb/sec for 1920 X 1080 (all VBR) - depending on length of movie, etc. to make fit on either 1 or 2 DVD-Rs. 1440 X 1080 and 1920 X 816 will playback with my XP2400. 1920 X 1080 is still a little too much. I don't have any 720p, but you could get as low as 3Mb/sec without noticeable compression artifacts.

Thanks for these new tips.

Joe

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:)

Rc0 is in the 2000 range. You can get it from the mediaplayer site release candidate 0.

The current build is 2929 under NDA but has been leaked. This fixes alot of problems and adds Mark in/Out/IN out for commercials etc.

So should I try to disable the elcard and use the WinDVD??? What is your demuxer and what is your MPEG decoder.

YOu are right - the 720p does not need deinterlace of IVTC - it looks fine. So are you setting it to 24FPS or 23.967

WM9 really really kicks ass.

Btw - you would happend to have any HDTV soprano episodes archived?? I only get it in cable (in a condo - no HD feed for HBO till March in Chicago) and would love to see a clip - like the opening.

Best -

Steve

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Steve,

I think I was mistaken about the absent watermark. I was looking at 2.35:1 cropped. It was probably the Elecard filter all along.

Joe

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, this is why VBR works :)

1. Enable the save to disk

2. use VBR-Qality Audio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Now use VBR Video (either peak or other)

It will now encode fine.

What do you think is a good VBR audio setting? 192 sounds tremendous to me.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Our systems must be different. No matter what, I get 0 bytes on the second pass with Mpeg2 or transport stream input files. It just stops at the end of the first pass. My quality VBR encoding times are much longer compared to the DVD2AVI way anyhow. So, I think I'll stick to the DVD2AVI/script/Link2 method. It's faster, the resizing is better, no watermark, and it works.

It will now accept ac3 files directly as the the audio source. So the AC3 to 6 wave step is eliminated.:)

Joe

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So why do you need the link2??? why not just use an AVIsynnth script "the Jamoka method".

DVD2AVI->test.d2v test.ac3

avisnth

Load avisynth script into WME9??? What does the link2 gain?

I wonder why the encoding times are longer??

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know, is the VBR 2-pass really any better??? I mean, 80-90% VBR-Q encodes 1-pass are fast and look really really good.

For your IVTC settings do you specify 24fps, 23.976, or do you leave it at 29.999. I think if you leave it at 29.999 it does NOT automatically adjust the FPS and just inserts torn frames.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"So why do you need the link2??? why not just use an AVIsynnth script "the Jamoka method"."

Because I never thought to try it.:) Thanks! One less step.

I use 2 pass encoding for 2 reasons.

1. To limit the maximum peak bandwidth so as to not overwhelm the playback hardware. Quality VBR of 90 or more gives me peaks of >20 Mb/sec which cause dropped frames or temp AV desync. Plus, it is probably wasteful to use 20+Mb/sec encoding on a 13 Mb/sec MPEG2 source.

2. To allow maximum average bandwidth (optimum file size) on a fixed size DVD-R. I try to set it up for file sizes of exactly 4.2 or 8.4 GB for 1-2 DVD-R in order to squeeze in every bit possible.

IVTC yields 23.97 fps no matter what I set the "fps" to. One thing of interest, I found no significant difference in file size or playback quality using straight deinterlace vs IVTC with WM9.

Joe

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:)

It seems to load the avisynth script fine. I will try the Ac3 file later.

That is the thing - is your playback after IVTC 29.9 or 23??

I really want MS to get behind this so their next "media center" will be a "media Center HD edition"

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Weird - ok, will try it again. I wonder why the file size is not smaller?

I need to try the avisynth +ac3 way =-> the "Jamoka" method that you did not think of :)

Best

Steve

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I am glad you brought up the script input. I tried that long ago and it didn't work, then never bothered to recheck. That, and the direct AC3 input now are real time savers.

I was surprised at the file size with 30 fps deinterlace at first. But when you think of it, the stream is mostly composed of the differences between frames, so it should't make much difference if the reference frames are spaced at 24 or 30 fps. Ultimately the same amount of data is being used to fill in the blanks.

I'm about 1/4 way through encoding AOTC today. Very impressive so far. At video Quality 95, the average video bitrate is below 1.8 Mb/sec. Watching on the split screen, I can't see a bit of difference between source and copy. And it's moving at .25 real-time. This is so much better than MPEG2.

Joe

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know - I am watching gladiator HDTV encode in split screen and it is stunning at 3mb/sec on the split screen. It does look like the chroma is a bit different - less warmth to the colors - do you notice that??

I can start to see compression artifacts around 2mb/sec very pronounced at 1280x720p. But really - this is impressive.

Do you need to modify the ac3 file with AC3 delay at all???

HAve you tested different bit rates/sampling for hte 5.1 audio?? I would think 192k mght be too low since it is all 5 channels.

IS ac3 24niy or 16bit???

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.