AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strictly in terms of PQ and tuning capability, how does an HDTV tuner card compare to a HDTV receiver set-top-box? Has anyone done a comparison between the two? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
To me they seem pretty much same. I use an RCA DTC-100 clone (PRoscan) and a Hipix and both have pretty good images. I think the Hipix has some more flexibility in scaling the image to various resolutions that my RCA box cannot. Tuning seems to be able the same. Of course , I don't get DirecTV HD on my Hipix. However, it is easier for me to timeshift on record OTA programs to my hard drive.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can record HD content with Hipix? How much disk space for 1 hour of programming? Thanks a bunch.

I guess that's the general advantage of a tuner card over a STB. Also, what's the best HDTV tuner card out there?

·
Registered
491 Posts
DueN - the MyHD card is around 8GB per hour...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I sold my DTC-100 after buying a MyHD card. I didn't watch much HBO-HD, and the ability to timeshift OTA HD made the MyHD my primary HD receiver.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have a Dish 6000 HD receiver, and a HiPix. The image is virtually identical. I've seen no difference between them. There's a ton of information here comparing various cards. The HiPix is out of production and very hard to find now. If I were in the market, I think I'd get a MyHD.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just to put in a plug for the HD PC Card. I considered both also, but with only a limited amount of HD content on I opted for the HD card in my HTPC so that I could timeshift. I am addicted to Tivo and did not want to have to be at the TV at certain times to see HD content. I have been very happy with that decision. My recording is about 9GB/Hr of HD content.

Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the cheerleading, guys. ;-)

It's a bummer that Hipix is no longer available. Any replacement for it? As of now, it looks like MyHD is the way to go?

Oh, what about the NTSC tuner on these cards? Are they any good? Or should I consider a separate (perhaps better) NTSC tuner/capture card?

I had a chance to play with the Samsung SIR-T165. I think the NTSC tuner on it is better than the one that comes with the Samsung DLP. For the price of the STB, it's a no brainer to go with a PC card given similar/same PQ on HD content. What about NTSC?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ntsc looks fine through MyHD. Recording NTSC is another matter.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by repoman
Ntsc looks fine through MyHD. Recording NTSC is another matter.
Just curious... do you mean the MyHD doesn't record NTSC at all, or it just doesn't record it well?

The HiPix ONLY records ATSC (HD). I never use its NTSC tuner, since I have two satellite receivers (PVR's) for NTSC.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The MyHD card will record ATSC and NTSC but it is a little buggy when used for both. I use MyHD for OTA HD recording only and it works great (cannot tell any difference from live on a 96" diag. screen). I use 2 Replaytvs for NTSC. Those that use MyHD for both systems usually have problems - at least from what I have read on the forum.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Some Samsungs STB's have an S-Vid out that down converts the HD stream to 480i. In fact, I almost bought one to time shift onto my ReplayTV.

Of course, time shifting true HD is so much better. It takes a bit of tweaking and know how, but if you must record (and I must), STB is not an option. Of course, a good STB is almost half the price of a good HTPC (the 200GB HD and MyHD card together cost more than an STB). Toss in memory, OS, HSF, video card, processor and mobo, and you're pushing $1,000. Want silent? It'll cost ya'.

Another vote for MyHD. If for no other reason, you have dozens of other users in this group and tech support is right around the corner.

BTW, while it's great for HD, don't even bother with analog recording. By the time you get the scratch for the newest P4 and Radeon for smooth capture, you could buy a Tivo.

·
Registered
530 Posts
direct tv hd tivo hopefully coming out in the forth quarter. my fingers are still crossed that it will be under $1000 bucks. I use a fusion card and the recording software is still imature as far as features are concerned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.