AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot about the "Video Expressions" and "AVIA" tools used to tune an RPTV. Where do I get these tools, and how do I use them? I have a Scenium 65", and would love to tune it, as I see a lot of imperfections the longer that I own the set.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Amazon has both of them for sale online, though if you tried, you could do better than $42.50 for VE and $40 for AVIA .

I have only used the Video Essentials, but even for a mere "mid-level HT Geek" like me, it is easy to follow, well explained by the narrator, and you see immediate results.

It's a bit hard to navigate between the different sections, so I usually just allow myself 1-1 1/2 hours alone in the dark to set it up wnen it needs it and go all the way through. I consider it a must-have, and the AVIA fans will tell you that it is a must have. Either way, you need one of these.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Half.com has Avia for about $40 and VE for about $20, both shrink-wrapped.

I used VE it made a huge difference.

-Curtis

·
Registered
171 Posts
i'm relatively new to tuning them myself. I just got my first HDTV (RPTV) and was playing with the video essentials dvd to tune it.

I'm curious but what do you guys think of the sharpness section? It essentially suggests turning sharpness all the way down or off but that drives me nuts. I'm curious what most of you do. I ended up putting it about 1/4 up from the bottom setting and i'm trying to get used to it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The reason you are suppose to have the sharpness so low is because it creates false edges. VE even explains this and tells you that the image might look soft at first but give it a chance and you will get use to it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terrific! I'm glad to find out it's just some DVD's. For some reason I was thinking that these were some tools that I'd have to use, along w/ opening my RPTV and fiddling w/ the insides! Whew! Thank goodness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.