AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RCA D52W136D

I was have problems a bit ago, and calibrated the TV using Avia and put the TV on a UPS surge protector, thinking it was getting unstable power supply.

Suddenly, when watching the trailer for the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the TV shut off, then turned itself back on. The DVD resumed (it's built into the TV), and the TV shut off again at the same point: when an apparant camera flash fills the screen with white for a couple seconds. Playing with the contrast and black level, I paused the DVD at the flash of white, then slowly pushed them up until the TV shut off...then, lowered it to a "reasonably safe level".

What's going on here? I have the black level at about 45%, and the contrast at about 60%, and the picture is NOT as beautiful as when I calibrated it using Avia. Is the TV going? Should a TV ever shut itself off? It's still under warranty, but I really don't want to bother since I'm simply a projection TV newbie and maybe don't understand the settings. HELP!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, well, well...here we go again...

I went through the Avia calibration again with a home theater buff friend with me, and wowsers: my contrast was WAY too high, and my black level way too low. Flip flop them (a "John Kerry", if you will), and it works just fine. He says RCA's have this "problem". Oh well...I got the TV for free (won it)...I ain't complainin'.

I did call the store I won it from and they are checking with their technician to see if they agree with the power supply finding. If so, they'll swap out the power supply on it.

· Registered
1,974 Posts
disco,

The RCA's are notorious for having woefully under-powered power supplies. Most of the current crop of direct view CRT's are as well, regardless of manufacturer. Almost assuredly it is the switch mode power supply that is your issue. Just pray that it gets replaced before it blows up and catches fire like the one in my old RCA MM36110 36" HDTV. That was a lovely little experience and what led to my now owning a Sony KV-HS510... which incidently ALSO had it's power supply "upgraded" once it fizzled after 4 months of use. Ain't technology grand?

Later and good luck,

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.