AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my display. I'm currently using a Toshiba 46HM95 720p DLP, which is hooked up to my HTPC used for everthying from TV to gaming.

I love my setup, but there are many times when I'm playing games that I find myself wanting to run higher resolutions than 1280x720. So, I'm looking to replace it with something that:

1) will accept a 1080p60 signal from the PC over HDMI

2) preferably, does not overscan

3) preferably, can handle PC levels 0-255 (my current set is limited to 16-235, so I must work around it by compressing PC levels to fit within that colorspace...as a result, I can see some color banding in certain situations when playing games)

4) has very little to no display lag (for gaming)

5) has very good black levels, with very little black crush.

6)

Can you guys recommend anything that meets these criteria?

It does not have to be a DLP, although I am fond of the technology...seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, there are many 1080p dlp's available...most of which do not meet my criteria.

It MUST accept a 1080p60 signal. Most, like the Sammy's, do not. They will only accept up to 1080i, and then upconvert that signal to 1080p. Not what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticon /forum/post/0

It MUST accept a 1080p60 signal. Most, like the Sammy's, do not. They will only accept up to 1080i, and then upconvert that signal to 1080p. Not what I'm looking for.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Not sure about 1080p60, but every 1080p HLS Samsung DLP model accepts 1080p over component, HDMI, and VGA. The other brands only accept 1080p over HDMI.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry...you are correct.

The current Sammys do accept 1080p over HDMI (though I need to find out if this is 1080p24 only, or if it includes 1080p60).

It seems that I was misinformed by the sales guy the last time I wandered into PC Richard. Think I'll be looking into it.

Thanks.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticon /forum/post/0

I'm sorry...you are correct.

The current Sammys do accept 1080p over HDMI (though I need to find out if this is 1080p24 only, or if it includes 1080p60).

All of these RPTV sets display at 60Hz refresh rates so that's the common input. It's harder to find ones that accept [email protected] input.

What you are going to have real trouble finding is a TV with zero overscan. Overscan is a TV feature. I've read that the VGA connection on the 1080p HLS Samsung sets is pure computer and has zero overscan.

Be careful of technical information provided by sales people.

·
Banned
21 Posts
stay away from Sony All sony SXRD, even the XBR2 have the Green Glob design defect. The pushed the edges closer the physics will allow which results in the color distortion call the green glob and is a green hazey donut in the center of the screen usually, although its shape can very. All sxrds have the defect and cannot be repaired, no matter how many times the light engine is replaced.

your best best is to get a decent tv like the Mitsubishi DLP. It has recieved the highest rating of any tv ever on CNET
http://reviews.cnet.com/Mitsubishi_...15.html?tag=lst

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmaeder /forum/post/0

stay away from Sony All sony SXRD, even the XBR2 have the Green Glob design defect. The pushed the edges closer the physics will allow which results in the color distortion call the green glob and is a green hazey donut in the center of the screen usually, although its shape can very. All sxrds have the defect and cannot be repaired, no matter how many times the light engine is replaced.

your best best is to get a decent tv like the Mitsubishi DLP. It has recieved the highest rating of any tv ever on CNET
http://reviews.cnet.com/Mitsubishi_...15.html?tag=lst

Do you work for Mits or just have stock? How about cnet? Spammers.

skepticon,

The Sammy HLSXX*88 series seem to fit most if not all your criteria. DLP, 1080p, overscan off in sm, game mode, 10000:1 contrast, good prices

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.