AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about selling my DTC-100 Sat. receiver as the only time I use it is when I am watching OTA HD TV. Is there away I can use my HTPC that I am using for DVD viewing with my Radeon card to watch OTA HD TV?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I switched from a DTC100 to a HiPix HDTV card and could not be happier. It will also allow me to record OTA HD to the HTPC hard drive that comes in very handy.

Mike

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. Can you tell me how much they cost and the best place to get one?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Mark,

See, that's the tricky part. As for cost, the HiPix runs $400, and other comparable cards aren't much better cost wise. As for where you can get one... Well, right now they are back ordered. I ordered mine about a month ago from Digital Connection and they are waiting on the manufacturer. DC and Cellar Cinema are the only two places I found that even sold the Hipix. Good luck!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mark,

The othe three options are the AccessDTV, the Win-TV HD card, and the Macro Image Tech. MDP-100. All three cards offer HDTV recording, and are priced approx. the same. Search the forum for reviews of these cards - The Win TV card has not received very good response from some of the members. The AccessDTV card is unique in that it allows you to pause "live" tv (like a tivo). There are also some issues with the drivers/software and customer support. The MDP-100 card is new on the american market (should be released very soon). Reviews are just now being posted.

My advice is to use the very good search function to get more info on these three cards.

I'm currently testing the MDP-100 and am very happy with it. I have no experience with the other 3.

Darryl

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$400?!?! Yikes! Why so expensive? I was hoping to sell the DTC-100 and save money by going the PC card way? Guess that is not the case here?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mark,

I would guess that HDTV cards are a niche market - no economies of scale here! Although a good HDTV receiver will generally cost you more (exlcudes open box sales, end of life sales, you get the picture...)

The HDPC card does give you one huge advantage over STBs- the ability to record OTA HD content.

and the WOW factor for other computer geeks can't be dismissed!

Darryl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.