AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the content. I have direct tv and much of the content is extremely compressed. Some content in OTA looks great like monday night football but sattelite is disappointing. I heard a couple years ago content looked better. Why are we going downhill. It's like going from CD's to Mp3's. I hear talk of 1080P but can't lowly 720P be done right?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
The best is OTA television. Nothing beats it except prerecorded DVHS which at 28mbs will blow you away. I have it and it is unbelievable.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharding
The best is OTA television. Nothing beats it except prerecorded DVHS which at 28mbs will blow you away. I have it and it is unbelievable.
and some cable systems..

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar
and some cable systems..
Yeah, my cable is just as good as the OTA broadcasts.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Cable usually does a better job at transmitting acceptable HD quality than satellite does at this time. In the future, satellite may catch up.

Even on Cox cable, which I have, the HD quality is variable, and some of this is due to the quality of the source material being used by the HD channels. Some HD transfers are better than others. HD versions of old TV shows particularly seem lacking in "richness" of image.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Dave, I give you credit for being able to tell the difference. A lot of people say they can't. Look at the poll at the top of the page.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper
Dave, I give you credit for being able to tell the difference. A lot of people say they can't. Look at the poll at the top of the page.
Yeah, You need a friend Dave ;)

-Gary

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't think "content" is what this is about. The title should be changed to say "presentation."

"Content" means the quality of the show, the script, the acting. That little difference makes this look even further like the work of an evil troll!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharding

Blu-Ray is even better.

·
Registered
27,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman
Blu-Ray is even better.
Better than D-Theater? Hmmmm.... yeah, all those vaporware titles in BR sure look hot. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,621 Posts
Quote:
Blu-Ray is even better.
I've seen BD demos, and I've seen D-Theater. It's way too soon to know if BD will be better.

·
Registered
17,485 Posts
Quote:
Blu-Ray is even better.
I'll have to take your word for it since I've never seen it. Of course, Blue Ray content isn't actually available to the public yet....

That being said, what gets demoed and what hits the marketplace are often two completely different things. Once the studios start finding ways to save money on disc offerings, they'll be certain to try to cram just as much crap on a single disc as they can - resolution be damned. In addition, if they master the movie onto an HD format that doesn't offer full horizontal resolution (as many don't), you'll get an image that is no better than the best OTA. Bit rate will be the only saving grace.

I could be wrong (and I hope I am), but when was the last time a corporation's desire to save money resoluted in a higher quality product for the consumer?

I'll believe it when I see the retail product with my own eyes.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
D-Theater is my standard reference, nothing comes close, I do expect Blu-Ray to match it or come darn close, after it hits its stride maybe, but that will be a while

-Gary

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Quote:
Blu-Ray is even better.
You know what's even better than Blu-Ray? The thing that comes after Blu-Ray.

And what 'til you see what comes after that! Woo boy! :p

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
The PQ of 25 Mb HD MPEG 2 file on Blu-Ray will look the same as the same file on DVHS (disregarding errors). Same thing with MPEG 4. The quality has more to do with the encoder than the media. 25 Mb seems to be the sweet spot for MPEG 2 HD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.