Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just got my first HDTV (Sony KP-51WS510) and love it so far. I'm new to this and want to be able to get OTA local channels in HD also. I know I'll need an additional antenna. From what I can tell Stockton is close to the local towers so I won't need a big antenna on top of my roof. What recommendation would you guys have for me to get. Keep in mind something not seen would be best as my wife will not want an ugly antenna on top of the TV or a big ugly antenna on top of the roof...

If I understand things, I'll just connect the antenna to my HDTV set top box (Samsung TS160) and things will be ready to go. Is this correct, or is there more to this than I think?

PS:

I put in my zip code (95219) on antennaweb.org and it looks like the major local channels are all in the Yellow zone (from 321 degrees to 323 degrees). Does this mean I can get just about any antenna, have it point in that direction, and be able to get all the HD programming from the major networks (that I know of broadcasting some programs in HD...NBC,ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS)????

That would be great, but it sounds to good to be true.

Thanks again for the help...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome to HDTV. I live in Modesto and pull-in beautiful HDTV from all Sacramento stations. I have small outdoor antenna, a Channel Master 4224 which cost me less than $40. In size it is about 2 x 3 feet and a screen type which is not obtrusive at all. Point the antenna to the 321 degree mark and fine tune by moving it slightly. Makes a huge difference. Tune your TV to channel 58 UHF. When it is good, all the others will be good, too.You will need an UHF-only antenna, run a separate cable from it to the back of your set top box. It will integrate the over the air reception channels into your directory. Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I have a 23 year old 8-foot antenna mounted about 55 feet off the ground, so I no problem pulling in everything from Sacramento. I have a 20-foot antenna ready to replace the 8-footer as soon as the weather cools off a bit more. I'm hoping the big one will pull in a decent signal from the Bay Area stations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.