AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market of purchasing a HDTV capable RPTV. The objective is I should be able to watch DVD movies in 16:9 format with all the scan lines displayed (vertical compression essential). The two contenders are the new Sony KP-61HS30 and the Toshiba 61HX70. The new Sony comes built in with the reverse 3:2 pull down technology.

The Sony TV has a 16:9 Enhanced Mode (Vertical Compression) for 1080i input, but what's not clear is if it can display 480p from a DVD player in this mode (i.e 16:9) or is it restricted to 1080i input. The TV allows for 1080i/480p/480i inputs.

Toshiba TV will only display 16:9 Enhanced mode (Vertical Compression) with 1080i input, but if I were to purchase their DST300 HDTV box and use it as an interface which would upconvert the 480p to 1080i. and then display it in 16:9 format. I can understand the conversion from 480p to 960i. Does it then add blank lines on the top and bottom to convert it to 1080i ?

I would appreciate comments for the forum members on which system would better serve me. I certainly would not like take the HTCP route.
Textc>

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,643 Posts
The Sony will display 480p 16:9 in the V-Compression mode.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Try some more reserch. The Sony is not capatable with up-coming tech. (i.e. FireWire).

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have found the sony to have a subpar picture. Also sony really sales TV's on thier name now... Other manufactures know this so they make better units cheaper... Look at the Toshiba 65H80 it is REAL nice looking and you can find them for $2400.

Also Hitachi makes some REAL nice HD 16:9 units. Only 1000 lines of Res, but they do it. I have seen many of the sonys do more like 880-900 lines not the 1200 they say. I have also seen the Toshiba on review sites say it does the full 1600 they say...

------------------

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.