AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new member to the forum. I am also new to looking at high-end telvision/projection systems. I just purchased a 53" Hitachi Widescreen HDTV projection (53SWX10B) and am now having second thoughts about the purchase. As it will not be delivered until tomorrow, I still have time to change my mind and purchase another system. My main question is surrounding which is the better technology to buy, HDTV widescreen projection or flat screen tube TVs. With TVs, I tend to lean towards the higher-end technology and keep that system for a number of years (my last TV was from 1989). We mainly watch DVDs, movies on cable, and some standard programming. I know that the widescreen projections can have issues with "stretching" the picture view with standard television programming, but the Hitachi system appears to have addressed this with a feature called, "smooth wide". At a high level, can someone outline the advantages of 1 technology over the other. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I was looking at that TV and I did like the picture and the built in 5.1 audio. How much did you pay? Where did you get it? Make sure you get a warranty with all HDTV's. I think you make a good choice. Tubes are OK but no BIG! You should get DirectV and HDnet 650.00 for the receiver and Dish at www.**************.com

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it at Circuit City and the price was $3,399. I did get a warranty and had them throw in the extended warranty at a discount. In the end, you would say that the picture on the HDTV projection systems is comprable to the higher end flat screen tube TVs when viewing standard television programming?

I have been looking at getting DirecTV, but was not sure as to how much HDTV programming is available at this time. I just heard of HDnet the other day, so I will have to look at that. Thanks for the site

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Sorry, I don't watch standard NTSC anymore just HD. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

When you get your receiver you will be able to watch local HD and DirectV. Local HD you will need to use your roof antenna(OTA).
http://www.hdpictures.com/stations2.htm here is the list of station broadcasting HD. In California they all pass the HD signal as well.

------------------

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you watch mostly DVD's and movies, widescreen format should be great for you. The more HD or widescreen material you watch, the more sense your purchase makes...enjoy.

Dan

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
 http://www.**************.com/script...t.php3?id=5269

Better yet, get the Blockbuster deal for 10.00 have them put up the Oval dish, then order the Hughes HD box above for 527.00. With the box and an antenna you can watch CBS in HD, ABC in HD, Fox in 480P wide screen, NBC in HD, and PBS in HD if you live close to San Fran or Sacramento or LA, or San D. Plus HBOHD, HDnet on DirectV, too much HD>>>>>

------------------

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
A tube picture will almost always be better then projection or Plasma. You can't get much bigger then 40" in tube though and they are heavy monsters. Some of the projectoin screens can be very nice though.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Not true when watching HD! Savageone79, what TV do you own?

------------------

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
SAN DIEGO (25) (26)

Analog Digital

KGTV 10 25

KNSD 39 40

KFMB 8 55

KSWB 69 19

The digital number is what you can not see unless you have and set top box. The digital channel is where all the HD resides.

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for all of the advice and information on sites with HDTV products. I think it will take me a couple of months to make the move over to the satellite/DirecTV technology, but it does sound like this TV should have a pretty solid picture for my viewing purposes in the interim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.