AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the number one feature (along with the phenomenal picture resolution) that makes me go "wow". Are there certain settings that enhance the window effect on HDTV's? Will getting the set ISF'd improve it?

I currently have a Zenith IQB56W10G 56" HDTV with 7" guns connected to a Silver Sensor antenna & Dish 6000 system. While the image clarity is superb on this set, the window effect could use some enhancement. So, I am debating whether to get the set ISF'd given the cost/benefit trade-off. I've already tweaked it as much as possible with VE and Avia including complete convergence.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
pereras,

I would definitely recommend you get the Zenith ISFd. I did with mine and it certainly did improve the picture. Probably one of the most important things in obtaining the window effect is that the material itself be capable of that effect. Even with 9" guns, there is a great deal of HD material that does not provide the window effect due to a variety of reasons. However, if you have access to a local PBS HD feed, you will see the window effect quite often. Your best shot is either "live" or HD tape material.

On the user side of the equation, it's important not to overdrive your set. Lower contrast and brightness will help bring out as much resolution as possible with no blooming which all help out in "opening" that window. Since you used VE, your probably close to these proper settings. Oh yeah, lights in the room OUT!! That always helps.

BTW, did you see my post on the progressive digital board replacement? If you can't use progressive now, this board will enable you to do just that. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Ken. Yes...I was finally able to get the digital board replaced via the Zenith Service Provider network after a few months. What a huge improvement on my DVD (Sony DVP-S9000ES) picture. One would think that since the Zenith upconverts the signal to 1080i there would only be a small difference. Oh nooo...DVD's never looked this good!

The last remaning problem I have is the fan on my set. It is pretty loud and can be easily heard from 20 feet away. Very distracting especially at night. I can also hear it change change speed (rpm) at random. Can you hear the fans on your set Ken? I don't think this fan behavior is "normal", and would like your perspective on it. Even though yours is 64", I'm pretty sure my 56" has the same fan sub-assembly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.