AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post. Now onto business. I have a Hitachi 61HDX98B. It is a widescreen, High Definition RPTV with the DirecTV (DTC100) receiver built into it. I believe this is a first generation High Def set, so there are absolutely NO component inputs on the front or back of the TV.

Now, I have OTA signals coming into Antenna A through RG6 Coax, and the tv automatically detects the HD signal, and converts the picture automatically to 16 x 9, or whatever the show is presented in. Which is great.

I have my DVD player, an older SONY unit, playing through Input 1 though S-Video. No Components on the DVD player either.

Here is where my question lies...I have an XBOX that I connect through Input 2, another S-Video connection. If I were to purchase an HD game, like Dragons Lair (1080i), would the tv know to upconvert the signal? IS that possible with S-Video cables?

Secondly, if the S-Video setup wont convert to HD, how about if I ran the XBOX through the Antenna B on the TV using RG6 Coax? Do you think the TV would upconvert the HD signal, just like it does with the OTA channels?

Lastly, if neither of the above solutions work, does anyone make a component to s-video connector?

Oh Yeah, there is no VGA connection either on the tv...just S-Video, Antenna/Cable Coaxial, and Composite.

I am racking my brains over this, someone please enlighten me on my dilema!!

Thank You!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I know that I am getting HD Net running 1080i through the receiver (DTC100), I am just curious if it is possible to attach other equipment to the set that will give 720, 1080 etc...

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Without high definition inputs, it's impossible. S-video cannot carry an HD signal. Are you sure the set doesn't have an RGB input?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just reading through the manual, and it does mention that both Antenna A and Antenna B can receive Digital or Analog RF Signals. Anyone know if there is a Component to RG6 Coax setup?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gsxr_drew
I was just reading through the manual, and it does mention that both Antenna A and Antenna B can receive Digital or Analog RF Signals. Anyone know if there is a Component to RG6 Coax setup?
That would require a box that MPEG-encoded the video and then used 8VSB modulation to put it onto an RF carrier. If the set has neither RGB nor component video inputs, there's no practical way to get an HD signal into it that isn't being broadcast.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If that's a more or less standard DTC100 stuck in there, it might be possible to find the point of RGB output of the receiver portion and wire in an A/B switch to connect to an external HD RGB source. Sounds extreme, but it really wouldn't be much of a hack if the interface point is easily accessable.

Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe,

I was thinking the same thing. I opened up the back of the set, and the DTC100 is wired up as a proprietary system, so I need to order the schematics and figure out the RGB Output.

Great Ideas guys!! Keep em coming!

Thanks,

Drew

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Sure. That will work for getting DishNetwork HDTV into your set. No good for the Xbox though.

Someone clever with an oscilloscope could possibly find those 75 ohm RGB points without evan a schematic.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.