AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if its the TV or the player. I just got a 32" Samsung HD and I still have my regular DVD player hooked up through the component inputs. Some DVDs look great like Shrek, but some, like The Score look real bad...all pixelated and fuzzy. I am planning on buying a progrssive scan DVD player real soon, but just wanted to make sure its not also the TV.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by carguy
Just wondering if its the TV or the player. I just got a 32" Samsung HD and I still have my regular DVD player hooked up through the component inputs. Some DVDs look great like Shrek, but some, like The Score look real bad...all pixelated and fuzzy. I am planning on buying a progrssive scan DVD player real soon, but just wanted to make sure its not also the TV.
Have you tried it on an s-video input? Some sets need progressive on the component inputs, I've heard.

Phil

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't. I was planning on getting a Progressive Scan player anyway, but I was contemplating returning the tv and getting something different....especially if it is part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by carguy
If The Score (DeNiro and Edward Norton...that Score, right?) looks bad, something's wrong. Its not quite reference quality material but pretty damn good nonetheless, and looks very good coming off my Mitsu DD-6020 prog scan DVD player (either in progressive or interlaced mode) on my Samsung 3096. It looked almost equally as good with my previous interlaced Toshiba DVD player, though. Progressive scan isn't going to be the drastic improvement you might be expecting, unless your current DVD player is just terrible.

You say you're seeing lots of "pixellation," which I'm guessing is MPEG compression/blocking artifacts. That's something you're likely to see a lot of in a movie like The Score with with all those dark scenes when your contrast and brightness are improperly set. You're really going to see this if you use the "Dynamic" picture preset that the Samsungs default to. Set the picture preset to custom and try turning contrast down to about 60 and brightness to about 40. Your MPEG artifacts should basically disappear at this point.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bingo! I totally forgot that I was messing around with the service menu prior which resets the tv to the defalt "dynamic" setting. It's all good now. The dvd player is actually pretty decent as far as non-progressive scan goes, its the Pan RV31. I am still going to return the tv, probably for the same one....I have a yellow discoloration at the botttom left corner that de-gausing would'nt take care of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.