AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Planar PX191 desktop monitor and would like to be able to use it for HDTV/xbox/normal tv. The monitor has one VGA and one DVI input. The issue i see here is that because its an LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024, i'll need some sort of processor or converter that outputs all formats to that resolution (dont know if theres something out there that does this, all of them seem to output at whatever resolution the signal came in) in order to avoid scaling and a degredation in image quality.

I would be comfortable with either some sort of card for my PC or a video processor, i just wanna get rid of my crappy TV and use my LCD instead. It seems like a PC card might be more capable of dealing with the resolution issue, however i'm not sure how well those tend to do in terms of image quality and support for component signals.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know what unit might be good for this? i would like to stay under $1000 if possible (i realize this could be a problem).

Thanks,

-Oae

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do a search on nextvision in this forum . The nextvision n6 model seems like it would do everything you want. I'm thinking about getting it but some people had some issues with it , although I assume most people are happy with it. Now if only some people could provide some testimonials I would feel better about buying it.

thx

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
N6=$200 (good), AVT-3700 or Zinwell Briteview=$400 (better), CS-HD or Lumagen Vision=$899-999 (best for your budget). CS-HD has DVI output which may be better than plain VGA of Lumagen Vision for your applications. Only N6 has TV tuner builtin while the others need VCR to tune regular TV. N6 can accept HDTV signals too but you will need HDTV receivers like RCA DTC-100, Zenith, Sony, Panny, etc. N6 will look fine on your small LCD size however and may be your best bang for the buck. All 3 can output SXGA which is your LCD's sweet spot. DVI SXGA of CS-HD will be best but may not be worth the extra dough. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
All 3 can output SXGA which is your LCD's sweet spot. DVI SXGA of CS-HD will be best but may not be worth the extra dough.
But not all of the boxes you mentioned will scale HDTV down to another resolution. If you want to view 1080i and your monitor doesn't support it natively (i.e. you need something to scale it down), the N6 does it - the others don't. Of course, the others will give better quality on 480i sources.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.