AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watch Tech TV on C Band C4 12, A LOT ! Unfortunately in their "Call For Help" show they have been running a HDTV story, comments and WEB site survey that have a negative spin, watch it, then let them hear your voice !!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Geeks maybe but at the corporate level they should have a strategy to embrace HDTV. Remember through Vulcan Northwest inc Paul Allen owns TechTV. Also Vulcan is starting a HD Sports project you may have read about also on the forum. So I say we should put the pressure on these guys. Heck its TechTV not computers only.

Rick

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
490 Posts
I watch TechTV a lot, and I didn't really see the news item as being "anti-HDTV". The poll about how much you would pay for HDTV might be seen as negative, but I thought the story was fair and truthful.

Most of the news item was about the undeniable fact that the government is not seeing the expected results in the turn around time allotted to local broadcasters, and how the deadline of 2006 is probably not going to work out.

I think TechTVs swing was from the normal consumer perspective. They revealed that most normal folks don't know much about it and those that do have little interest in buying a $3000 TV just to be "compliant".

Sure there are alternatives. You can receive the digital signals with a STB and keep using your NTSC TV, and they didn't really delve into that, but even those boxes still cost more than what most consumers are willing to pay. I can see the general public saying, "$500 for a TV tuner with no screen?" If someone comes out with a $100 box to take in ATSC and spit out NTSC I think you will see a lot less resistance. There also needs to be more content on the airwaves and, as many have stated, on cable before the regular public accept digital TV.

It is a bit of a double standard on TechTVs part since they'll talk about building a $20,000 computer just for games without blinking an eye.

------------------

-Jr.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
The fact is the fed's aren't doing the right thing. The broadcasters are going to keep the signals for as long as they can or have to. The problem is they should start with making manufacturers carry digital tuners after a certain date. That way the ball will get rolling. It doesn't have to be HDTV just digital. Then the broadcasters at least have some security that there are sets out there. Also the average Joe don't know and don't care about HDTV. It's not really being pushed, look how they pushed DVD. If they dropped their prices under a grand on TV's with built in tuners, then people that are getting new TVs and that care about HDTV would probably go for SDTV.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Ireland:
I watch Tech TV on C Band C4 12, A LOT ! Unfortunately in their "Call For Help" show they have been running a HDTV story, comments and WEB site survey that have a negative spin, watch it, then let them hear your voice !!!
They're a bunch of geeks that have been anti-HD from the getgo! They'd rather play with their hard drives and video games.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a lot of pressure from the Wireless Internet people, they want the old NTSC spectrum now. And the "Geeks" are for that. The Media is selling that HDTV is a failure before its gone the course. This is a long term plan.

The comment from Leo LaPorte that HDTV is a scam (or whatever the exact word was I don't remember) really came across as negative.

·
Registered
63 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The broadcasters are going to keep the signals for as long as they can or have to. The problem is they should start with making manufacturers carry digital tuners after a certain date. That way the ball will get rolling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may even be necessary. Perhaps my view of the world is skewed, but since most people I know get there TV from either Cable http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif or from Satellite http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif why would I as a broadcaster want to spend a ton of money to reach a few people with no money. I am not of course speaking about those of us who are the early adopters of HDTV. Unless Mercedes, BMW, Viking, etc. start producing commercials in HD it may take an act of congress to get HD going.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well some time has passed and there is talk the FCC wants to make DTV tuners mandatory. I don't agree with this. Currently Manufacturers give you both options. If you want a TV with a tuner buy one with a tuner. I you don't need the tuner or prefer other options for HD reception that option is available.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carbo
The problem is they should start with making manufacturers carry digital tuners after a certain date. That way the ball will get rolling.
The FCC has already taken this stance - and it's pretty much a done deal - the FCC has already announced this mandate, to begin with big screens and work its way down to all TVs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A lot of people are complaining about the tuner mandate. What the FCC should have done is to Mandate DTV tuners only if there is also a NTSC tuner in the TV. This way people with Cable and Sat/with locals on sat, wouldn't have to buy into the tuner mandate. But it does get them into all other sets that would have the possiblity of receiving analog broadcasts.

Does the tuner mandate that DTV tuners need to be installed in Monitors also or just when they lable them as TV's?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
"What the FCC should have done is to Mandate DTV tuners only if there is also a NTSC tuner in the TV. This way people with Cable and Sat/with locals on sat, wouldn't have to buy into the tuner mandate."

But, if my signal is only going to be seen on (highly-compressed) satellite, and (noisy, ghosty) cable, both in the lowest form of resolution......, well,

maybe I have to broadcast DIGITAL for the small minority, but where's my incentive to do ANYTHING more.

Without tuners out there, we're right back to the old chicken/egg thing. No audience for widescreen, no audience for DD, no audience for HDTV. Just the same old cable/satellite audience (who don't seem to mind the low-quality signals) that we have right now!

I think Con-gress still has a bit of a grudge against Cable TV, so maybe they realize that a digital OTA tuner in every set might wean some viewers off Cable. But, if most people can stand to watch that heavily-compressed stuff they get on DBS Locals, maybe there really IS no audience for the kind of quality that HDTV brings. Maybe we should just do six channels of home shopping in low-fi SDTV. (Ugh!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.