AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got a new Plasma. I didn't realize that you can not simply get a DVI to HDMI cable and connect it to your Plasma TV if it doesn't have a dedicated PC connection. My Plasma specifically says the HDMI is not for computer devices, its for DTV devices that output 1080i, 720p, etc.

I've been loking at various video cards and most that are for HDTV mention an HDTVout cable. Looks like its a S-Video to component adapter.

So my question is do you know if any video cards will output 1080/720 to the DVI port? This way I could get a DVI to HDMI cable and connect it to my plasma's HDMI input instead of using component.

Or should I not even bother and just connect it via component.

Plasma is a Hitachi P50H4011.

Thanks,

Konrad

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morval /forum/post/0

Hi, I just got a new Plasma. I didn't realize that you can not simply get a DVI to HDMI cable and connect it to your Plasma TV if it doesn't have a dedicated PC connection. My Plasma specifically says the HDMI is not for computer devices, its for DTV devices that output 1080i, 720p, etc.

Incorrect. Manufactures just put that warning on their tv's/manuals so that they don't have to support issues such as overscan.

You CAN hook up your PC to the tv via a DVI to HDMI cable and not worry about anything.

Quote:
I've been loking at various video cards and most that are for HDTV mention an HDTVout cable. Looks like its a S-Video to component adapter.

So my question is do you know if any video cards will output 1080/720 to the DVI port? This way I could get a DVI to HDMI cable and connect it to my plasma's HDMI input instead of using component.

Pretty much ANY current ATI or Nvidia card will put out a 720p rez for your tv, however you'll just have to deal with overscan which can be fixed via the video card control panel.

- Josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.