AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched to see if anyone had said this before, because I know wal-marts around the country can have certain items well before others, and i didnt find any posts pertaining to it.

Anyway - I live in Arkansas (wal-mart HQ area) and I was looking at the electronics in the Rogers store and to my surprise, they had two different HDTVs on display. The first one was the 36" RCA MM36110 selling for $1592. The second was the 61" RCA P61310 selling for $3486.

The 36" was playing the "a bug's life" dvd and the 61" was sitting there with a directv "insert your access card" message.

I was at this walmart on friday night and they were not there, so they must have just arrived.

I think this is pretty good news, as wal-mart is the largest retailer in the country (world). I just hope they setup the 61" widescreen with some directv hd action so everyone can see how much HD rocks.

~

chris brown

·
Registered
938 Posts
That is interesting news. Up until now, Wal-Mart had never carried any DTV products, so this should be seen as a positive step in getting the masses exposed to DTV and HDTV.

Roger

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes Roger I agree.

"The 36" was playing the "a bug's life" dvd and the 61" was sitting there with a directv "insert your access card" message."
Text

Thats if they actually disply HDTV images.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
We have arrived (at least in Arkansas).

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Yes, this is good news for sure. The noted "Joe Sixpack" can now join us in digital splendor.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
great! the ******** can now see products they cant afford.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar:

The '********' around here drive Ranger Rovers and Mercedes SUVs to Walmart.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:

Some people just still amase me with comments like this!

Having been to Rogers ,(service tech. for the movie theater out of Birmingham years ago), it seemed small but not the ******* type.

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

[This message has been edited by David Richardson (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i was just talking about wally world in general. it is a low class establishment where the lesser groomed and poorly mannered of America congregate to "hav fun in tha city".

------------------
ADebars>
DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great. Now many of them will be amazed at the quality of the burnt-in 'your access card' display.

If they are going to sell products like that, they need to have a staff which knows the in's and outs of HD-RPTVs, Agreed?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Sean,

No. Why should mass merchandisers be any different than the electronics stores, like Best Buy & Circuit City, who's employees generally don't have a clue about HDTV.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:

Well, ******** or not, this may be the most important developement to HDTV in awhile. If the masses get exposed to HDTV, and buy them, prices will drop and demand for programming will be high. We will all win out in the end... Now if the people that work there can just get the sets hooked up right so everyone can see how much different HDTV really is.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PCman:

If the masses get exposed to HDTV, and buy them, prices will drop and demand for programming will be high. We will all win out in the end...
...and come to think of it, we may have found an ally in Walmart. Imagine if you will the effect on such a giant if all of those HDTVs that they've been selling (fast forwarding a year) become useless because certain industry forces obsolete them with a certain encryption scheme?

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GregQuinn:
(you're not seriously equating being low income with being lesser groomed and poorly mannered?!!!!)
i did not mean "low class" as in economic class. the term "low class" means you lack respect, grooming abilities, and manners.

------------------
ADebars>
DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

[This message has been edited by ADebar (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Which is the most accurate self-description you've made so far.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz:
Which is the most accurate self-description you've made so far.

BADA BOOM!

------------------

Living in a HD wasteland... for now

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think this is great news! They have a ton of stores all over. We being early adopters may have a few more bucks but we should not come across as snobs around this forum. We need people to put down that Winston and get a new TV!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Attention Kmart shoppers, we have a blue light special on Pioneer Elite rear projection TV's on isle 6, just $3599 for the next 15 minutes, plus you'll get a free Billy Bass and a year's supply of pork rinds. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
556 Posts
You know, we can't have it both ways. This will either be an elite hobby for folks who have the knowledge and the money to make it work (which is what it is now), or a mass market phenomena which is plug and play for people who will never spend even a moment on a forum like this.

I vote for the latter. To the extent to which everyone becomes a consumer of HDTV, it will raise the general level of demand and understanding for programming, which will in turn further stimulate the market.

Cheers,

Bernd

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.