Toshiba 42-Inch Projection TV

model # 42h82

Samsung 47" projection TV model # HCL4715W

Panasonic PT-47WX52

47" Diagonal 16:9 HDTV Projection Monitor with AS2 Screen Shield

Sony 43" Hi-Scan 1080i Big Screen Projection TV model #KP-43HT20

anyone own any of the above?

Any exp with any of the above?

Which is the best set? I plan to watch DVDs, play x box & gamecubes on it & watch various TV shows, sports, NFL football games.........

any links with reviews?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone?

I heard that a MITS or hitachi RPTV are 2 of the best............any model recommendations, screen size 42-47?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The Panny and Sony are a notch above the other two when the TV's are properly set up. Sony has DVI input while Panny does not. May be useful, may not be ...

Mits is also a nice set ...

Hitachi is decent, but really demands a proper set up since there are some goofy things in the picture with the unit OOTB. Look for solarization on some Hit. sets.

Should also add that Toshiba's 480P section for DVD's is slight degraded compared to the other sets due to upconversion artifacts.

Regards

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,

I just bought the Hitachi 43FWX20B 20 days ago. I have not yet had it ISF'd, I figured I should wait until I get b/w 100 and 200 hours on it before I do that. I have had some experience with CRT's though as I have a Front Projection CRT in the basement.

I can say that this little Hitachi is a GREAT unit. OOTB it's really bright (contrast was at 100!!), pretty grainy, and pretty overly emphasized on color and edge ringing, but after some playing both by eye and with my AVIA disc, it's an incredibly nice picture. The upscaler works well, and it has really good and sharp focus, at least mine does :)

So, in the 20 days I've had it and played with it, without yet being ISF'd, the picture is really good and we've been very happy. The only problem I've so far seen is that there is a LOT of red push and it's hard to get skin tones reasonably accurate. 43 is the perfect size for our room and I'm very happy with the set. I can't wait to get an HDTV feed to it!!!

I know it's not one of the sets you were originally looking at, but it may be worth your while to at least check it out. No DVI plug though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

The Panny and Sony are a notch above the other two when the TV's are properly set up. Sony has DVI input while Panny does not. May be useful, may not be ...

Mits is also a nice set ...

Hitachi is decent, but really demands a proper set up since there are some goofy things in the picture with the unit OOTB. Look for solarization on some Hit. sets.

Regards
I just returned 2 Hitachi XWX TVs recently. The pastel & solarization problems are real on this set. Thanks to Michael TLV for pointing this out. Panny, Sony, and Mitsu are great choices. No pastel or solarization I could see out of the box.

Regards,

H3rmes

·
Registered
585 Posts
The Panny rear pros look good when set up properly, but my experience with them is that they have very poor build quality. They make excellent tube tvs, but I've seen more of their rear pros fail then I can to mention. In my oppinion the Toshiba set has the best pic quality in the bunch. Toshiba has a soft appealing picture, and the colors are very natural, especially flesh tones. But that's just my oppinion.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The Panny does have good pic quality when set properly, but from my experience with them their build quality is poor. I have seen more of their rear pros fail then I care to mention. There tube and plasma displays are excellent though. Out of your list I would say the Toshiba has the best pic quality. They have a very pleasing picture, with very natural color especially the flesh tones. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I looked at the Panasonic and Toshiba that you have listed as well as the Sony 46" RPTV. In the end I found the Toshiba to best suit my needs. Slightly smaller, excellent SDTV and stretch modes, and good HDTV and DVD image quality.

I watch DVDs the most along with some HDTV and slightly more SDTV. The Toshiba 42H82 has been a great unit for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, i was loooking at the Hitachi 46F500 also......

of the panny, tobshiba & hitachi, which of these 3 does 720p?

I want to be able to play the new xbox games that output in 720p

i know that the Hitachi will either downconvert it to 540p

or upconvert it to 1080i.........my question is, if a TV up or down converts, will i suffer a loss in picture quality?

I think the Tobshia does 720p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.