AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think subject has been touched upon enough...I think this good be an important feature especially to the gaming community (Xbox & PS3). I am thinking that 2D games will look pretty good with the conversion.

There are alot of TVs that are missing this feature including the upcoming 72" Vizio...Is this a feature we should hold out for?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I think 2D to 3D conversion is important, too. However, comments from those who have seen this demonstrated at CES have been rather discouraging. My guess would be you won't be missing much buying a TV that doesn't have this feature, for broadcast program material. I don't know about games, but those might be converted from game code, rather than having the TV do it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Would welcome hearing more on this topic. The demonstrator of the 55 inch Samsung 3D TV at my local Best Buy claimed that he was wowed by the effect when he hooked up an XBox. The demo was not configured so as to allow an independent viewing of the effect. Since I am not a gamer though, my primary interest is in how the effect looks for programming or video content.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
"on the fly" 2D to 3D will likely be crude for many years (generations). An analogue might be how bad the first DSP receivers (early 90s) sounded. Even 20 years later most purest feel that DPLII and DTS Nero still sound fake or artificial most of the time.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
The built-in 2D-to-3D feature is really meant for video, not for games. It's easier to get true S3D out of games because they are rendered in real-time, not pre-encoded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts